Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M281 cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my new M281 is driving me insane today: I have added it on my laptop last week, over WiFi, via new printer - search, picked the printer, it installed, I added the app and was able to print. Since this morning, the printer is showing as 'Ready' (in app menus, in system settings, as well as in the HP app), but every time I try to print something, I get an error message (system pop-up and in printer menu & queue overview), without any further specification.  This is the same no matter if I print from Word, Acrobat, Print menu test page... It only happens on my laptop, from another laptop (also Win10) as well as from my phone it's working fine.

I can even scan from my laptop, through the HP Smart app.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the printer multiple times, removed the HP app, restarted my laptop, switched the printer off and on again, pulled the plug from the printer, changed from dynamic IP to fixed IP (within my routers fixed IP range), switched WiFi direct printing off (read somewhere on an HP page it shouldn't be on at the same time as WiFi).

Any ideas, suggestions, ...?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@printseattle 

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The problem described here, indicates that the laptop should be reinstalled (clean installation).
After the Win10 installation this HP-SW should be installed.
Do not connect the printer until the SW prompts you to do so.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Andreas

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks”!

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

Hi Andreas,

thank you for your feedback! Reinstalling Windows is not an option for me, I simply don't have the time to do that and I would also need some external support from IT to reinstall VPN, remote access etc. (and I don't think the VPN is the culprit, as I had it switched off when trying to print).  I'll try a couple of other things first, like resetting the printer.

HP Recommended

Quick update, I got it running by using TCP/IP instead of WSD port. This prompted the windows printer installer, which unfortunately didn't have my printer driver, so I tried the next best thing and that worked. Does the trick for me for now, I'll try to get the original driver running later. 

If anyone has another thought on a solution for my original problem (which I still would like to solve), feel free to comment!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.