Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro M254nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I insert something into the manual feed, the paper is detected and drawn inside the printer, but if I don't specify that I want printing being done from this source (if in printing preferences paper source is selected: "printer auto select") , this source is simply ignored and the printing is done from source #2. (marked as Tray 2) If I specify in preferences that paper source is Tray 1 (manual feed tray) every time I need to press "ok" at printer panel in order to complete printing. This is happening already couple of weeks, and it was not like this before, it worked normal way, after I insert paper in manual feed. the paper is detected and drawn inside and printed from this source.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

the "normal" function of trays is as follows, if driver is in autoselect, the printer will take paper from other highest numbered tray first, for example if you requested printing on plain paper and you had plain paper specified in trays 2 and 3, it would feed from tray3 first until that tray is empty. Do you have the MP (or tray 1) set as plain paper or any/any or do you have it set for a particular non-standard media such as label or preprinted. If you had the tray set for label and the program you are printing from asks for labels it will feed from the MP tray automatically, or you have to specify that you want tray 1. If it performed the way you wanted before but does not now then most likely a driver default setting has been changed or a printer setting has been changed.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I have Tray 1 and Tray 2. All trays are set as plain paper A4 format. Tray 1 is manual feed tray.

I am not sure about highest number trey being printed from first, because before when it worked normally (for about a year) it first printed from Tray 1, if there was paper available there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.