Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

When duplex printing, the "front" side of every printed page (the odd numbered pages) prints fine, but the "back" side (all even numbered pages) prints with the top/bottom margin shifted downward.   The shift varies from a half inch to several inches, but always seems to end up with about a 1/4 inch bottom margin.  This happens whether printing from Adobe Acrobat, Word, or Pages whenever the "Long Edge Binding" (or equivalent) is selected. When I select "Short Edge Binding," I don't get the shifted margins, but (of course) the back side is upside down.  Interestingly, Pages gives me a second (identically titled) printer option that doesn't have the usual Layout options, but instead treats the document as a photo or something -- and when I print both sides using this interface, it doesn't shift the margins!  So, I can use this option for Pages, but that doesn't help me with MSWord or with PDF documents.

I know I can duplex manually, and that isn't a huge problem when only printing one copy of a short document, but it becomes a problem when the original document contains many pages, or if I'm printing many copies.  My old Brother MFP cost 1/3 the price of this unit, and didn't have this issue.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ABQGoose

Thanks! Since the issue only occur while printing from iMac. It's possible that it's an issue with the printer driver installed on your Mac. Removing the existing printer driver and then adding a compatible driver may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:
Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @ABQGoose, I'd like to help!

Does does the margins shift if you make a two sided copy?

How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Does it happen if you print from an other device?

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the margin only shifts when I'm making two-sided copies (Duplexing), and only on the second side of each sheet.  All the front sides are fine, but the back sides are shifted down.

The printer is connected via USB to my iMac desktop.

I hadn't thought to check other devices.  Thank you for that idea.  I tried a PC laptop and a phone, both through AirPrint.

When we print from daughter's PC laptop, wirelessly it does not shift the margin.

When I print from Google docs, through my iphone, it does not shift the margin.

So, the problem only occurs with my iMac (Mojave 10.14.3), which is connected by USB.

HP Recommended

@ABQGoose

Thanks! Since the issue only occur while printing from iMac. It's possible that it's an issue with the printer driver installed on your Mac. Removing the existing printer driver and then adding a compatible driver may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:
Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Success!  When I checked my "Printers and Scanners" preferences, there were two separate drivers listed.  I recalled that in one of my previous tests, I had seen two printer choices, and that the second one worked, but I didn't know for sure which one was the correct one, so I deleted both, as you suggested.  Then, when I went to re-install, I saw that there were two choices.  I chose to install only the Bonjour Multifunction (since that was the only one highlighted in your screenshot). It worked!  Thank you so much for walking me through this problem.  I'm quite happy with my printer now.

HP Recommended

@ABQGoose

You are welcome! Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us. Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a co-worker who has this same problem while Air Printing from her iPad. (Same printer, same problem) Is there a similar fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.