08-04-2020 08:22 AM
So after a year of great printing, the cord on my printer melted. Even burned a spot on my wall. So I got another power cord and the same thing is happening. So the problem is the printer not the cord. What could be the issue?
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-04-2020 08:35 AM
The 2nd power cord how long did it last?
Did printer work fine during the period of using the 2nd power cord?
The printer uses 600W of power during printing, you need a good quality cable, not cheap power cable with thin copper wires.
My profile on LinkedIn
08-04-2020 09:10 AM
What caused a spot to burn on the wall, do you mean on or around the wall power outlet? If so, maybe its a problem with the socket or wiring behind it.
If you mean the cable burned then follow the advice of others and get a quality, thick cable - avoid ebay cheepies.
08-04-2020 09:38 AM
I smelled it melting but didn't know what it was. It finally melted through the cable and sparked for a minute blackening my wall. I did move outlets before putting the next cord on. I'm going to try to get a better quality cable and see if that works. Maybe 3rd cord will be the charm. Thanks.
08-04-2020 09:41 AM
The above is equivalent to what shipped with the printer. Under normal circumstances there should be no issues with this cord. I am concerned that this worked for a year and suddenly you are having a problem. This suggests something has changed, either the printer has developed a short or something in your house wiring is suspect. You could have an overloaded circuit. This type of problem is a fire and safety hazard and you need to find the cause of the problem. If you recently connected new devices to the same circuit such as an air conditioner the circuit is likely overloaded and you need to move things around onto another circuit.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.