Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Mac OSX El Capitan.  HP M1212nf been on the network for years.  ATT came out to replace modem that was failing, and new modem is working fine, router and wireless all working fine.  Mac has internet connection (wired) and wireless, both checked out.  Separate ethernet line to printer seems to have been cut during the process and access to lines is not possible right now.  To resolve, attempted to add switch at node for incoming ethernet line to Mac.  Switch is working, and one line into switch is active, two lines out active and verified.  One to Mac, other to HP Printer.  We use a shorted IP address sequence on our ethernet devices (XX.X.X.XX) rather than XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX so it's impossible to assign the original correct IP to the printer on the printer's control panel.  Printer will work with USB fine, and green light is on at back of printer where Ethernet line is connected.  Have uninstalled printer twice, rebooted twice, reinstalled printer, all to no avail.  Have also reset modem and router IP addresses to see if we could make the change to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but that too did not resolve.

Could use any advice on assigning shortened IP to Printer in hopes of resolving, as nothing in any of the guides shows how to enter an IP that is NOT xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but uses fewer numbers per block.  Printer Control Panel ONLY seems to allow blocks of 3 per section of IP, and no way to make it less.

Otherwise looking for any other solutions (printed the config/test and it just shows 000.000.000.000).

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The shortened IP you are speaking of is only due to the fact that when displaying an address it will drop any zeros to the left of valid numbers. for example

would appear as

They are identical, 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I set the IP per your info, no change.  Went back and left the TCP/IP for automatic, rebooted the network, systems, printer, etc, even left printer off 10 mins.  Nothing.

When I go to setup the printer on the network (System Preferences/Printer/Add Printer/IP) and enter the IP I assigned it, it validates the IP but when it goes to apply the software driver and find it, it fails.

When a print attempt is made with that assigned printer (the HP in question) I get a failure "couldn't find fifo"

Wondering if the line splitter (switch) is the problem... signal shows up fine and tests ok, but this all started with ATT switched out wiring and modem, and I lost the ethernet line from the router to the printer.  Since I'm sharing the one line to the location where printer and computer are (sharing it through switch), maybe that is throwing it off.

I have other printers at office we've setup with ease (Canon, HP, others) but this thing is either a dinosaur, or the embedded firmware is just not easy to work with.  Any other suggestions welcomed.  Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.