cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

My LaserJet 4000N keeps wanting to print from Tray 1.

HP Recommended
LaserJet 4000 N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My LaserJet 4000 N refuses to print by default to Tray 2. It keeps asking me to print from Tray 1. I have tried all the solutions previously offered in a discussion about the same issue and nothing works. When it insists in printing from Tray 1 and I click on "Go" on the printer, it gives me the message "Use Plain Exec Instead". I don't know what that means. When I click on "Go" again, it does print from Tray 2 but it changes the margins, making the left margin very large and text missing on the right margin. I get the following error message: "F41.3 Unexpected Paper Size." I am using the right paper size which is letter. I have made sure that the paper sits correctly in the tray. Please help.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,022 5,975 648 1,531
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you print the config page from the control panel does it show tray 2 contains letter. If not then likely the tray size sensors are bad, common on an old printer like this. If it shows correctly then likely there is a problem with the paper pickup, either rollers or sticking solenoid.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It says that Default Paper Size is LETTER. Tray 1 (EXEC) and Tray 2 (EXEC). I have no idea what this means. Your help would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation