Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet 1320n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help!!

Just received a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system to take over my Windows 7 system.  I cannot locate a driver for my handy dandy HP Laser Jet 1320n.

My Laser Jet is connected to our network via ethernet and is not connected to my computer via USB.

I installed the HP Laser Jet 1320 PCL 5 driver, however there is no communication.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Download and install the printer as USB temporarily so that the drivers are on your PC:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-1320-printer-series/410622

Then convert the printer from USB to a network printer by creating a TCP/IP port and then moving the printer to that port instead of USB/DOT4.  That should be all you have to do.  I would also advise setting up and configuring a static IP address for your printer since you are bothering with the effort to manually configure a network printer.  This will help your PC consistently find the printer as your devices are powered on and off in the future.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Download and install the printer as USB temporarily so that the drivers are on your PC:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-1320-printer-series/410622

Then convert the printer from USB to a network printer by creating a TCP/IP port and then moving the printer to that port instead of USB/DOT4.  That should be all you have to do.  I would also advise setting up and configuring a static IP address for your printer since you are bothering with the effort to manually configure a network printer.  This will help your PC consistently find the printer as your devices are powered on and off in the future.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Thanks Professor.   You rock!!  🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for advice but unfortunately it does work for me. I have connected my HP to win10 PC successfully via usb. After that I disconnected it and connect HP to my Synology NAS (which support HP 1320 sharing via network). Then I opened my HP properties in Win10 PC to change port but when I choose add tcp port it can't find my shared printer. What's wrong?

HP Recommended

If you are involving a NAS then you need to work with someone who is familiar with that device.  My understanding is that printer sharing through a home router, NAS or some other network device is essentially port forwarding.  That is outside of the scope of support for HP printing that I can offer.

The process of USB printer sharing usually asks users to enter in the IP Address of the home router or NAS as the printers IP.  In your case the NAS would see the print job and then port forward the traffic to the USB port.  You are not talking directly to the printer in this scenario but the NAS and hoping the NAS passes everything along.

HP Recommended

Thanx John

Finally I got a bit of luck. What I did...

Before your step (changing printer's  port) I add one more printer using second option "Choose shared printer by name". Then I entered NAS IP in the address field, entered login/pass, opened shared printer and finished installation. After that I changed the port in previously installed printer to newly added (automatically) network port and it works! Then I deleted temporary printer.

Hope it will help someone. Снимок экрана 2019-10-23 в 8.55.31.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.