Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet M1212nf MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've finally fixed the initialization loop issue with the printer thanks to support, and have come across a new issue.

I am able to locate and install the printer onto my print server in order to make it accessible by multiple computers. A USB connection is not possible.

The firmware has been updated to the latest (20150405), and I have downloaded and extracted the latest drivers, and installed them on the print server. The printer itself still has the old software driver (20100428), and I don't know how to perhaps update that.

Now, I can print a test page successfully while logged directly onto the print server, but I am unable to add the printer to my own computer, even though I can see it when connecting.

The other issue, is that when the printer (we have several of this model) is added to the print server, we lose scan and fax functionality. Are there drivers that are used for a network install?

To elaborate:

Lets say, for simplicities sake,

my main network is 192.168.1.xx

my printer network is 192.168.2.xx

My print server has an IP address on both networks (192.168.1.5 & 192.168.2.5)

My computer IP is 192.168.1.100 (reserved in DHCP scope)

The printer IP is 192.168.2.200 (reserved in DHCP scope), and is named 'Printer-Office'

I successfully connect directly to the print server (via 192.168.1.5), locate and install the printer by IP, and can successfully print a test page immediately after install, before clicking "Finish".

I then attempt to add the printer to my computer via shared printer name, by typing '\\192.168.2.5\'

As I have typed '\\192.168.2.5\' a list of all printers on the print server appear, and I select 'Printer-Office'.

With all of the other M1212nf printers, this is the end of story, printer installs, and away we go printing (but lose the fax and scan functionality).

After the firmware update, my computer simply endlessly spins trying to connect to the printer. This is with the existing drivers that are working for all other M1212nf printers on the print server, and with the updated drivers installed for this specific printer.

I also cannot open the printer properties on the print server for that printer via right click. Nothing happens. I can open the print queue, but still cannot get the properties to open from the File menu.

The HP Print and Scan Doctor says everything checks out okay with the printer. However no test-print occurs, yet an internal print does. The tool then recommends I uninstall and re-install the driver software, but I do not want to affect all the other working printers, and we have more than just this one type of printer.

I can't install the full featured software for a dozen different printers onto the print server.

What could be causing this issue, and what can I do to resolve it? Once it is resolved, is there a way to get the scan and fax to work across the network properly?

[EDIT]: As an additional note, this seems to be the only printer model we actually have issues with. Every other printer (HP and other) have zero issues like this model....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.