Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet3505dn

We have an HP Color Laserjet CP3505dn installed (directly wired to the router) in a wired network which has 8 computers with a range of Windows OS's from Vista to 10. When I go to add this printer to each computer, the Windows network search finds the named printer with its IP address but also finds the printer with a NP designation. Which one should I use?
I have been using the IP address successfully but I have noted that when the router is rebooted, the IP address of the printer changes and I have to reinstall the printer on each computer. I have also been using the IP address because when I installed the NP designation, I got the message "Printer is out of ink" and nothing would print. (Note: I'm using manual override on ink).
Ideally, I would like to install the printer once on each computer and have the computer find the printer on the network each time the computer is rebooted. How can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>> ... when the router is rebooted, the IP address of the printer changes ...

This implies that the printer is obtaining its IP-address via DHCP.

You could instead configure the printer to use a static IP-address (and 'reserve' this address in the router so that it doesn't get allocated to another device when the printer is powered-off).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

>> ... when the router is rebooted, the IP address of the printer changes ...

This implies that the printer is obtaining its IP-address via DHCP.

You could instead configure the printer to use a static IP-address (and 'reserve' this address in the router so that it doesn't get allocated to another device when the printer is powered-off).

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the reply. I'll try to configure the printer and router next week to use a static IP address for the printer. I'll let you know the results.

Phil

HP Recommended

Configured printer for static ip and reserved that ip in the router software as suggested. Rebooted modem and router and all computers and everything seems to work fine. Will reply back if the problem crops up again. This accidental techie thanks you deeply for the prompt and excellent advice!

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

Glad that you have the printer working now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.