Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I purchased a new HP Officejet Pro 8620 yesterday. Installation was easy, and B&W printing is fine. But I can't get anything to print in color. Diagnostic said OK; inks are all new and full.

I do notice that when I want to print, there are only a couple options for printing - "Standard" and "B&W." How do I increase the printer options  - such as a fast, economy print using low ink?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the follow up and the verification the printhead is working fine.

Reset the printing system on the Mac. This will clear out the print drivers for the printer, and others if added.

Check for and install updates on the Mac.

• Apple icon, Software updates

Repair the disk permissions on the Mac.

Add the printer back into Print and Scan, may also be seen as Print and Fax.

Let me know if this allows for better printing.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello FairfaxHS,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I understand you are trying to print using the Officejet 8620,  it will print in black, however it will not seem to print in color. Are you able to copy in color?

What is the Operating System installed on the computer you are trying to print with, Windows or Mac?

Usually those other printing options are found in the printing preferences. Once I know the Operating System, I will be able to look into the exact location / see what other options may be available.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Mac.

HP Recommended

On Mac, the printing settings are controlled in the Print menu, access via clicking File and then Print. If you have installed the software that was provided with the printer, you should have options similar to the below image.

Mac setting.jpg

My image is from a 8600, this is only for an example.

From the Paper Type / Quality drop down, you would be able to select you options for printing you are looking for. Some are only available depending on the paper type selected.

The Mac should have some presets already setup, in most programs. If there are none you want, you would be able to create them.

Mac presets.jpg

Clicking Presets will give you the ones Apple should have installed. To create a preset, set the desired settings, click presets and then Save As.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I doublechecked the Print Menu screen as you suggested. The drop-down menu has two options: Standard and B&W. Checking either one just prints in black & white. Color Matching option is set to "Color Synch."

HP Recommended

Let us focus on the printer then. Us this guide to learn how to clean the printheads: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages.

Let me know the out come.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Why would I need to clean the print heads? The machine is brand new. I will do it anyway, but seems like a waste of time.

HP Recommended

The test print after head cleaning looks fine. Prints in color, all sharp and clear. However,  I still cannot get a document or photograph to print in color.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the follow up and the verification the printhead is working fine.

Reset the printing system on the Mac. This will clear out the print drivers for the printer, and others if added.

Check for and install updates on the Mac.

• Apple icon, Software updates

Repair the disk permissions on the Mac.

Add the printer back into Print and Scan, may also be seen as Print and Fax.

Let me know if this allows for better printing.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yay! That did it. Resetting the printer solved the problem. Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.