Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP laserjet 1102w printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a new Asus laptop with Windows 10. When I try to install my 1102 printer, it sees the printer but says

"driver not installed." I have downloaded and installed the latest driver. My desktop with Win 10 works perfectly with this printer. What to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@macwichie,

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my public post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@macwichie,

Welcome to HP Support Community!

Please note, If you're going to connect the printer via USB, then do not connect it initially. Begin the installation first and later there will be a prompt to connect the printer. That's when you may connect the printer.

Now let's try these steps here to uninstall  the printer drivers and then reinstall the drivers using this method.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve issues with the printer drivers. 
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click here to download the printer driver.
  • Once the file is downloaded, I would suggest here is to browse to open the folder C:\LJP1100_P1560_P1600_Full_Solution from Windows Explorer, double click HpSetup.exe and the installation will begin
  • Follow the instructions and install the drivers.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for this. I did all the steps and still see the message under the printer name "driver is unavailable."  During the process I could print a test page, but I can't print from anything else.

HP Recommended

@macwichie,

Let's try to install the printer using Windows built-in driver - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Let me know how it goes!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I can't get through the process using the built in Windows installer, because on the dialog list where I select an HP printer, the 1102 isn't listed. Does it use a driver for another printer? Which one?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@macwichie,

Let's uninstall the printer from the root level and then reinstall it.

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click here to download the printer driver.(Please select the correct version of Windows before downloading and installing the printer software).
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

I thought it was going to work; at least it found my printer. But still: Driver is unavailable.

Here’s what happened when I followed your instructions:

"Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

There are two drivers "microsoft enhanced point and print compatibility driver". I  can’t delete these, or MS Print to PDF and MS XPS Document Writer V4.  But there is no 1102 driver.

type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

This did nothing, but I found a file This PC > OS (C:) > Program Files (x86), which had a HP folder and I deleted it.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

I got no prompts at all after running the downloaded file. It appeared to install, but no prompts.

Any ideas? Thanks for your patience.

Mary Ann

HP Recommended

@macwichie,

As you seem to find difficulty following the instructions, I would personally suggest you contact our HP support team, so that they can remotely take control of your PC and help you check the settings.

HP support can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

Select the product type.

Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

Select the country from the drop-down.

You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I don't think I can. My printer is very old and out of warranty. If you know a way I can get HP support for this problem, with or without paying for it, please let me know.

Mary Ann

HP Recommended

@macwichie,

Let's try these steps here: 

First go ahead and uninstall the printer, Please follow the instructions from the previous post to Uninstall the printer from the computer.

Once done, let's try to create a new User account. 

Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: Click here 

Once done, restart the computer and then login to your new User account which you have created.

Once logged in, please go ahead and Install the full feature software for the printer. 

Let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.