Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Hp color laserjet CP2025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Win10 system updated itself lastnight to version 1607 (build 1439.82). Before the CP2025 (network printer) worked fine. Since the update it refuses to print in color.

The demo page (printed from CP2025 built-in menu) is fine: full color

From windows everything prints in black and white. Properties of the printer say:

HP Universal Printing PCL6

Color: No  <-------

Double-sided: Yes

Staple: No

etc

Color Usage log shows all pages/sides were printed in Mono; only one page (the demo page) is reported as  color print.

How can I tell the printer that is *can* print color?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not sure if this is relevant for your device / driver, but you may need to inform the driver that the device is colour-capable.

I don't have access to a LaserJet CP2025 printer, so the following shows the Device Settings tab in the Printer Properties dialogue for a local Laserjet 1320n printer (which is set up to print with the latest PCL6 UPD):

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Are you using it direct or a remote desk top into a server? 

Oddly, we had fixed a similar problem about 45 minutes ago with a CP4525.  After the upgrade to 10, one of my techs could not print color documents to this machine.  Even though it's been going on for months, he never said anything until today because we have 3 color units in the department. 

I can't speak for your issue 100%, but on ours the device "looked" exactly the same in the "Settings" page.  However, when we actually dug out the name of the file for the driver, it matched an HP Deskjet 500.  Keep in mind that the DJ500 was a 4 PPM (yes, FOUR page per minute) ink machine that was discontinued in about 1997.  How, why, where it came from, I have no idea.  But, Windows 10 chose this driver.

Our solution: Coimpletely erase the unit from his PC.  I even changed the IP of the printer so it would not "remember" the unit.  We erased the DJ500 drivers from the library.  The latest CP4525 driver was downloaded, then we installed it as a network printer and did not allow an automatic search of the network but punched in the IP instead.  It works fine now.

if you find a solution, please let us know!  Windows 10 is the new normal and finding solutions is an advance for all.

Gary

HP Recommended

My opening question about Remote Desk Top was because if you are using that, the solution is different.

HP Recommended

Not sure if this is relevant for your device / driver, but you may need to inform the driver that the device is colour-capable.

I don't have access to a LaserJet CP2025 printer, so the following shows the Device Settings tab in the Printer Properties dialogue for a local Laserjet 1320n printer (which is set up to print with the latest PCL6 UPD):

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi dansaduk,

Spot on. Identical situation and your solution works perfectly.

I went over many these settings but would *never* have guessed that 'Device Type = Auto' would prevent a color printer from printing in color . . . . Once set to 'Color', as you suggested, cleared everything. Color printing works again.

Thanks a million - spent 3 hours checking a zillion settings, without result.

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam

Leon

HP Recommended

Leon

Glad to have been of help.

As you say "... would *never* have guessed that 'Device Type = Auto' would prevent a color printer from printing in color ..." the "Device Type" item is is perhaps not that intuitive.

But the difficulty is in choosing a (relatively short) term which is meaningful (and translates well in other languages).

HP Recommended

Hi Gary, thanks for responding too. Good to see that there still are volonteers to help when supplier support is lacking.

I found your lead to esolve the issue at the same time as dansdaduck suggested to check the cp2025 settings. I started off with his suggestion, as it was easy to check and surprisinglt it resolved the issue.

Never came about to check if Win10 might have loaded wrong driver, though this is unlikely:

- am using HP's universal driver

- all works now with this very same universal driver.

Thanks anyhow.

Leon

PS: tried several other thins, after posting my question. Found that the color prints were only prevented from my office PC. Printing from a laptop worked fine. Funny enough that laptop had gone thru the same Win10 update process as the office PC. *If* the matter was caused by Win10 update: the laptop was originally Win8; the PC came from Win7

HP Recommended

Hey Leon,

I think it probably had to do with a "white box" built PC, an OEM PC or a retail box Win 10 and what files were loaded in the library.  Oddly, the driver was named PCLU, but the really long string name that HP uses looked funny.  A copy and paste in a Google search bar gave us DJ500.  If you asked me before this, I would never have guess a unit that old would even work on Win 10, even if you did somehow get a parallel port on a new PC.  I guess since it's all made by human beings, it's subject to human error.  I can't say anything... My name doesn't appear in the encyclopedia under "genius".  LOL.  Glad it works!

Gary

HP Recommended

Spot on!!  This exactly, and simply solved my problem!

HP Recommended

Thanks Dan ,

I came accross these posts since was also going nuts trying to figure out why my trusty CP 2025 sudenly stopped printing color although self-test pages were full color???

I never though about win-10 updates being the issue.

Hours of seaching and testing were solved in a minute by following your lead..... BRAVO ZULU!!

Ed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.