Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When i plug my usb cable in to my computer nothing happens - it isn't recognized.  HP Pavilion p7-1026b PC with windows 7 64-bit. Printer is an HP photosmart 8050. What should i do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Chefd,

The USB port is not replaceable. I am glad to hear you have gotten it installed. If you have issues with connectivity you may want to consider buying a newer printer. Have a good day

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Chefd,

We need to isolate the issue by plugging the printer into another computer and see if you get any plug and play. If it still doesn't recognize that you plugged the printer in then try a new USB cable. If you still don't get the PC to recognize the printer with a new cable and a different PC then the USB port on the printer is not working, and you will need to purchase a new printer.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

printer works when plug into another computer - tried 3 different cables and none work - this problem is all over the internet - just no good quick solutions - thought i'd try here first. figured problem would be a quick fix - evidently not?

HP Recommended

Hi Chefd,

Refresh the Windows Device Manager

Follow these steps to refresh the Windows Device Manager.
  1. Click the Windows icon ( ), type devmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files text box, and then press Enter . The Windows Device Manager opens.
  2. Click the arrow ( ) next to the following entries to expand them, and then look for your HP product in each list:

3. IEEE 1284.4 compatible printers
  4. Universal Serial Bus controllers
  5. Other devices

6. If you see a yellow exclamation mark ( ) next to your product or the phrase Unknown device , continue with the next step.
  7. If you do not see your product or a yellow exclamation mark in the list , go to 'Solution three: Completely uninstall and reinstall the HP software'.
  8. Right-click the HP device/Unknown device entry or the entry with the ( ) symbol, and then click Update Driver Software . The Update Driver Software - Unknown Device wizard opens.
  9. Click Search automatically for updated driver software . Follow the on-screen instructions to refresh the device manager.
  10. Repeat these steps for all device entries with the ( ) symbol.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists , continue to the next solution.
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

ok - never had this happen before - while printer was connected and on, i lifted up the printer to see the bottom.  the 2 note tone sounded and it installed - printed fine - now i'm worried it's the usb port of the printer - is that replaceable?

HP Recommended

Hi Chefd,

The USB port is not replaceable. I am glad to hear you have gotten it installed. If you have issues with connectivity you may want to consider buying a newer printer. Have a good day

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hello PC Wizard,

I need help with my deskjet 1050A, it seems not to be communicating properly with my Dell Laptop, I get the following error message when i try to print from a document 'The data area passed to a system call is too small' what in the world does this mean, kindly assist. Many thanks

HP Recommended

I have a photosmart 8050.  It will not print.  Used 3 diff cables; 2 different pc.  On pc gives msg USB not

recognized. Any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.