Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have purchased an Officejet 6600 and effortlessly connected it to my wifi network, printing and scanning for a day. And two days ago it stopped conntecting to the wifi network. In between, our router was turned off and turned back on. That is the only difference.

First, the printer would not even detect the wifi network. I solved that by changing the configuration of the router (Cisco EPC 3925) and changed the wireless configuration from "Wi-Fi protected setup" to "Manual". I can now see the network again on the printer.

But after I select my wifi network and enter the WPA password, the printer tells me that the connection to the network is impossible. I printed a diagnostic page, which tells me that the problem is perhaps linked to the MAC filter. But I have no MAC filter on. I also tried switching from WPA/WPA2 to WPA only, but that did not change anything. 

I have also tried configuring the wireless mode through the USB cable, but to no avail. Everything seems to work, up until the moment when it tries to connect it to the wifi (screen with "configuring" with big antenna and pulsing radiowaves).

Should I just give up and bring it back to the store? I am starting to become desperate!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Raphaël

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, to make sure I understand - the printer actually connects to your wireless network and although it works for a while once the printer goes to sleep, your computer/router cannot wake it.

If that is the case there are a few things we can try:

1. In your router settings, make sure that Multicasting is enabled.

2. Set the router 2.4GHz channel to 11.  I know it sounds wierd, but please try it.

3. Set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

On the front of the printer, in the Network (or Wireless) menu, Restore Network Defaults (or similar words).

Try connecting again.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply. I have just tried that again, but it does not help.

HP Recommended

Is your router broadcasting its SSID (network name)?  Is 802.11g mode enabled on the router?  Try changing the router to channel 11.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Everything is set as you describe: SSID broadcasting, 802,11g mode and channel 11. But it does not work.

HP Recommended

Turn Wifi Protected Setup (WPS) back on on the router.  Next, go to the Network menu on the front of the printer and start WPS (pushbuttin mode).  Within 2 minutes start WPS on the router by pressing the WPS button.

How close are the roter and printer?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I tried again with WPS, but it did not work. When in WPS mode, the printer does not find the SSID and that seems to prevent the printer from connecting to the router.

The router and printer are about five meters apart, in the same room.

HP Recommended

WPS should work.  Sometimes WPS takes a minute or two to work, are you giving it enough time?

Restart the router by pulling its power cord momentarily.  Also, make sure the router has the latest firmware.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Open the configuration pages within the router's embedded web server. Look for something called a DHCP client list. Is the printer listed? If it is, can you ping it by IP and/or host name from any of your client computers?

Thank you very much for your help. This confirms that I have more or less tried everything. The last thing I will try tonight is with a different router.

(and I have left WPS take all the time it wanted)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.