Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just changed my black ink cartridge when the warning came on, but since I installed the new cartridge (HP black XL), I keep getting a notification popping up saying that there's a problem with the cartridge and to reinstall it. I've tried doing that several times, cleaning the head, turning the machine off and on, unplugging it and restarting it, and it still says that. I've tried reinserting the old cartridge and it works fine except for being out of ink. Is there a problem with the cartridge itself, and if so, what do I do? Do I take it back to the store, or return it to HP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Vitrushka

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

If all the steps have been performed from this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617253/model/661..., it would definitely be a cartridge issue.

For the next course of action, I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Vitrushka

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

If all the steps have been performed from this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617253/model/661..., it would definitely be a cartridge issue.

For the next course of action, I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Returned the cartridge and exchanged it for a new one at the store and the new one is working fine. Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Vitrushka

Glad to hear that everything is back to working now. 

Have a great day! 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m having the same issue listed above. It must be a cartridge issue but I bought the normal HP version. I need to know where to return or how to get a refund because I have important work to complete that needs printed ASAP.

HP Recommended

Kj1993,

I returned mine to Walmart with the receipt and just exchanged it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.