Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 5100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently purchased a new Dell XPS with windows 10 - 64bit.

I have a brand new UGreen USB to CN36 Parallel printer adapter cable (the printer does not have the N (network card)

Hooked up my old workhorse, HP Laserjet 5100 and surprisingly it was found with plug n play.

Tried a test page and machine gave an error to clear jam - to open and close front panel.

Did that then it printed out a blank page that only reads:

PCL XL error     Subsystem: Image      Error:IlliegalAttributeValue    Operator: ReadImage    Position:29

Went to HP website and downloaded latest drivers for pcl16-x64-6.8.0.24296 & ps-x64-6.8.0.24296

Followed tutorial on this board:

windows+R to get run command, typed in printui.exe /s and chose drivers tab, uninstalled the HP printer.

Installed NEW universal HP drivers.

Rebooted system, then turned on HP 5100.

Nothing was found.

Went to add printers, can't find it, HP 5100 not there anymore.

Went to universal driver (shows in my list of printers) and clicked test print, got error printer not there.

Any suggestions? Does this work with windows 10 or am I wasting my time trying to make it happen??

Thanks in advance,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

There was a post on here recently  and what someone found worked with another older printer was to change the print processor in the driver from RAW to NT EMF (see photo below, as you can see there are several print processors to chose from so you may need to try a couple of options to find the most compatible one.)

print processor.JPG

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I tried changing processors and nothing happened. I do remember having this same problem on a laptop running windows 7 and never had it resolved. It ran fine with XP though.

HP Recommended

Have you tried an older UPD driver or the PCL 5 driver? I have some archived ones I can post up on Dropbox if you want to try. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Since I've read someone solved this by using an older PCL 5 driver while the 6 didn't work I'll give that try, thx.

HP Recommended

Hello again Repairatrooper, can you send me the PCL 5 driver please? not sure where to get it...thanks!

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you! It worked! Had to use the older PCL 5 drivers to get it to print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.