Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

We currently have a printer server on a Windows 2008 R2 server and have the LaserJet Color 3600n on it. When users print any pdf with multiple pages it will spit out an error page with the following

PCL XL error

Subsystem: KERNEL

Error:            IllegalDataValue

Operator:    VendorUnique

Position:      810 

The Position value will change. We tried to reinstall the driver on the server, added the computer directly via IP address, and also used the Universal PCL and PS drivers.

Any help with this issue would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter Kim

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the OS? Should not come with PostScript driver. Please try and check if installing the host based driver resolves the issue. Here is the link for the driver download page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=501046&...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

The company is currently on  Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

That's the driver we have been using. The error started recently so we were trying different solutions by changing out the driver.

HP Recommended

>> ... we were trying different solutions by changing out the driver ...

The LaserJet 3600 printer is a host-based device, so it can only be used with the appropriate host-based driver (which, for this printer uses, I think, the proprietary JetReady language, which is a very stripped down variant of PCL XL).

As such, it does not understand any of the traditional Page Description Languages (PCL5, PCL XL, PostScript) and won't even understand plain ASCII text (although it may give the impression of doing so until its buffer is full, after a page or so).

HP Recommended

IMHO all the answers above don't help. I own this printer since 2007 or 2008, never had a problem. Then since 4 about 4 weeks I have exactly the same problem with pdf-docs, though not all of them.

I don't believe in "only docs with multiple pages", though I'll test that again, because it would be a workaround.

BTW I tried multiple conversions of the pdf: msword, jpg, png. Nothing did work, printing of the converted docs got the same error.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.