Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have software that prints bills, 3 (portrait) or 4 (landscape) on a 8.5 X 11 sheet.  The program is using PCL command for setting the X and Y positions for the forms.

With the newer printers coming out, we're finding it getting harder to find a PCL driver that will work with the PCL commands.

We've had a couple of customers say that after we installed the PCL driver for their new printer, they could not print out of Word or Excel using the PCL drivers.

Question -

1)  If we can not use printing with PCL for the alignment, what do we need to look into to replace the PCL coding that will work with the new print drivers?  Or any other suggestions going forward...

2) Why can some Microsoft products not print using PCL drivers?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@gewrenn Thanks for sharing your concern with the HP Community,

here's what I'll need, so I may be able to provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: click here

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.)

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

To thank me for my efforts to help you,

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  As we deal with clients with multiple different HP printers, this applies to more than one model. 

So far, for the most part, we've been able to find the PCL print driver to install or the Universal PCL driver has worked.

There has been a couple of sites (sorry I don't remember their printer model) that stated that after we installed the PCL driver, they were unable to print from Word and Excel with the PCL driver. 

We are looking into what are our options going forward?  What happens when we are not able to find a PCL compatible driver for the PCL commands used to print their forms?   What other options does HP suggest for positional printing (x / y) on forms for the HP printers in the fututer?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@gewrenn We'll need to install specific printer driver and try printing, hence, we'll need the exact model name of the printers in question,

Also, our support is limited to consumer printers, if what you have, and the positional printing option seems to be related to a commercial printer, we may have to refer you the team that can assist you on the same, as we don't expertise on it as of now.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.