Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Please can someone help??

I have just bought a C309 which prints photos from the memory card fine, and I installed the software on windows XP. I have a netgear wireless router. Although the C309 found the wireless router first time round, after turning on, it now cannot find it and searches fruitlessly. Windows will not print any documents and I have tried the normal steps, such as set back to print online through the control panel etc.

This is not easy to set up and I need help. Disapponting, HP.... 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

STEP 1.Make sure that you have the following requirements before you begin:

•  Network name: The network name is the SSID (Service Set Identifier).

• WEP key or WPA security passphrase

• A computer that is connected to the wireless network.

• Internet access. HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL.

• Your wireless-capable HP product. Place it close to the computer during the installation procedure.

• Administrator privileges or password (Vista)

• Make sure the product, access point, and computer are all on, and that the computer is connecting to the wireless network.

• Exit all applications running on your computer.

• Disconnect any USB or Ethernet cable that is connected to the product.

STEP 2 : Connect to the wireless network

Follow these steps to connect the product to your wireless WLAN 802.11 network.

1. Press the Setup button ( ) on the product control panel.

2. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight Network , and then press OK .

3. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight Wireless Setup Wizard , and then press OK . The Wireless Setup Wizard searches for networks, and then displays them in a list.

4. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight the network name (SSID) that you gathered in the previous step, and then press OK .

If the network name does not appear in the list, follow these steps:

1. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight Enter New Network Name (SSID) , and then press OK . The on-screen keyboard displays on the control panel.

2. Enter the SSID: Use the four-way arrow buttons on the product control panel to highlight a letter or number on the on-screen keyboard, and then press OK to select it.

NOTE: Make sure that you enter the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters exactly. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    3. When you finish entering the SSID, use the arrow buttons to highlight Done on the on-screen keyboard, and then press OK .

4. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight Infrastructure , and then press OK .

5. Press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight WEP encryption or WPA encryption , and then press OK .

NOTE: If you are not using WEP encryption, press the Down Arrow button ( ) to highlight No, my network does not use encryption , and then press OK .
  5. If prompted, enter the WPA or WEP key:

1. Use the arrow buttons on the product control panel to highlight a letter or number on the on-screen keyboard, and then press OK to select it.

NOTE: Make sure that you enter the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters exactly. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    2. When you finish entering the key, use the arrow buttons to highlight Done on the on-screen keyboard, and then press OK .

6. Make sure the product successfuly connects to the network before continuing to the next step.

STEP 3: Install the software

Used the CD or the downloaded software from the website

HP Recommended

This is what I did with my new C309g printer, but I cannot enter the WEP key as the printer will not accept 26 hexadecimal characters - it stops at 25.  It then gives me an error message that the WEP key needs to be either 26 characters or 10. 

Why won't it accept 26 characters?  Is there a firmware upgrade for this?

HP Recommended

> Press the Down Arrow button to highlight Wireless Setup Wizard , and then press OK .

Printer displays, "Now searching for wireless routers..." but never displays any.  My wireless network is set to broadcast its SSID, and other devices are able to connect.

Steps attempted to resolve on my own:

- rebooted router

- power cycled printer

- unplugged printer power & plugged back in

- reset printer to factory defaults

Printer used to connect to wireless network and to my laptop via Bluetooth fine.  Both these functions stopped working at about the same time, now neither one works at all.

HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same thing. There is no IP address displayed - it says "no link" and will not connect or display any wireless network.

It did this once before not too long ago. I downloaded the drivers - unplugged and replugged the printer and all was good.

This time I am not having any luck.

Suggestions??

HP Recommended

i toohave the same problem. its wont accept all 26 wep characters despite telling me it has to be 26 characters long!! it stops at 25 !! How do i solve this?

HP Recommended

same problem. 309a used to connect to wireless network. now it doesn't. 

HP Recommended

I have the Photosmart C7280 all-in-one, and it too won't connect wirelessly.  Used to work just fine but then a few days ago I would occasionally have items get stuck in the print que.  I would power down the printer and unplug for 10 seconds and the printer would start spitting out all the itmes in the que.  However, last night, it decided that it would not communicate with anything.  When searching for networks, it will not show anything.  Both of my other computers are connected to the internet through the Linksys N-Broadband router as well as my Xbox.  Therefore, I know it is not a router issue. 

I did reset the router as a last resort and when I did that, it detected my router as well as the others in my area for a second.  Then when I went to reconfigure the router info (SSID and WPA passphrase), it stopped detecting any wireless networks again.  I reset the router again to factory defaults thinking that might have been what worked, but to no avail. 

The wireless network test report shows:

Diagnostics summary:

Radio is on but not working.

SSID fount- Not Run

Security- Not Run

Connected- Not Run

Signal Strength- Not Run

Other networks detected matching your SSID- No

Configuration Summary:

SSID- Not applicable

Mac-0022648e8809

IP address- Not applicable

Configuration Source- Not applicable

Authentication Type- Not applicable

Encryption- Not applicable

Recommendations:

The wireless radio is not functioning. Contact HP support.

HP Recommended

Check if the Wireless radio is functioning by setup > network> Wireless network test.

If the Wireless radio shows as failed, try to restore the network defaults.

If the wireless radio still shows as failed CALL HP for advanced troubleshooting steps for this particular issue for this printer

If this answer was helpful or clarified the issue click the star to offer me a kudo as thanks.
If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution

Although I am an HP Employee, ALL of my posts express MY opinion, and not of HP, whatsoever.
HP Recommended

Endlessly searching for network.  Have no other windows open and no devices or USB connected to anything.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.