Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 series
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Brand new laserjet printer.  When idle, the power button on the front flashes very brightly.  It is annoying and a waste of electricity.  Is there a way to stop the blinking other than having to actually turn off the printer?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

The flashing power light signifies the printer is in sleep mode.  No way to disable that setting.  Might just put a piece of black tape or cover the light if you want.

HP Recommended

I have the model Laserjet MFP M477fd2 and we have a model 476 at work.  The older version does not blink on standby.  It just seems to be a new addition that is a waste of resources.  I will just have to turn it off all the time.

HP Recommended

Why is HP still ignoring this. There were already many threads on this forum where people complained about the fact that there is no option to make the Standby Led just stay off instead of blinking all the time.

I own a MFP M477 since quite some time now and the blinking never stops to anoy me. My solution for now was to always switch off the Printer when I am not using it, all because of this anoying blinking LED.

One solution many times proposed is to put some Black Tape on the LED. I refuse to do that  it would be so much simpler turning off the blinking led by software.

Please Please Please HP stop ignoring these demands from your users and do something about it.

HP Recommended
Also with m477fdw. Same blinking button light on standby. This is our home office and the bedroom so this blinking is a huge annoyance at night when we want to sleep. We want it on all the time so we can print without having to remember to switch it on at the wall. Like many comments I have resorted to taping some opaque cardboard over it. It seems so simple for HP to add a setting that allows this lamp to be off rather than blinking. Go on HP do the customer centric thing.
HP Recommended
Yes. Here too. An annoying piercing light in my eye 👁 at night. This is not the only device doing this. Many have this. Black tape does
The trick. It’s ugly on this new machine.
HP Recommended
I used Gorilla thick black tape cut square to fit. Doesn’t look bad and is 100% opaque. No light whatsoever.
HP Recommended

What a sting in the tail.  All that research and design and they go and flash a light at us *C*-*O*-*N*-*S*-*T*-*A*-*N*-*T*-*L*-*Y*, that's right *C*-*O*-*N*-*S*-*T*-*A*-*N*-*T*-*L*-*Y*. (Did I mention that it flashes *C*-*O*-*N*-*S*-*T*-*A*-*N*-*T*-*L*-*Y* ?) If not, then I have to tell you that it flashes, you've guessed it,  *C*-*O*-*N*-*S*-*T*-*A*-*N*-*T*-*L*-*Y*. Torture!   *

Update: Okay, in fairness, I've found quite a decent (and not unsightly) workaround for the 'Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw', and maybe for other HP printers with this annoying affliction. Open the front door and cover the 'inner button' with a precisely cut piece of "Magi Mags" tape. The thickness of this tape ensures total blacking out of the flashing light, without any negative consequences. Note: the tape is in no way visible or on show because it's inside, i.e. behind, the front door cover.

HP Recommended

Black piece of tape...LOL...that would look beautiful.

HP Recommended

I have the HP LASERJET PRO M278  printer in a room off the bedroom and the annoying light blinks all night. It is a waste of electricity blinking all day long. I'm sure a software update can fix this flaw. I have always bought HP printers because of their quality but this is a big disappointment. I would never had purchased this printer if I knew it had this problem. The reason I wanted this was to use it wirelessly but it defeats the purpose when I have to run upstairs and turn it on every time I want to print. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.