Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (100 Views)

Power supply for LaserJet Pro M26NW

Product Name: LaserJet Pro M26NW
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchase the 26 NW and am not sure if the power supply for the product is dual voltage. The start up instruction documentation says "The product uses either 100-127V. AC or 220-240 V. AC and 50/60 Hz." I intend to use the product in both voltage environments. When I look at the back of the product the label that is stuck to the body of the printer says it is rated for 100-127 V AC power supply. When I look at the male socket built into the back of the printer is rated for 220-240 V AC supply.

Most electrical/Electonic items have power supplies that auto sense the voltage that is being fed to it. Some of them have a toggle switch that you can move to tell the equipment if you are feeding it with 110 V or 220V. What I do not know and am looking forrward to an answer on is if this Laser jet printer has an auto sensing power supply as it was made in China. Can I ignore the label at the back of the body which indicates that the equipment uses 110 V power supply or is there some thing that needs to be done to the power supply inside the body of the printer - a toggle switch to move it from 110 to 220V? Do not want to burn the power supply or other electonics inside the printer when I connect it to 220V althought the label at the back says it is rated for 120V. 

Provost
Message 2 of 11 (85 Views)

Re: Power supply for LaserJet Pro M26NW

Hi,

Laser prints are not dual voltage, a laser printer is either for 110V or 220V and not for both...

Many internal parts for a laser printer are completely difference for a 110 or a 220v printer, such as the main board and the fuser as example.. it is not a toggle switch and using a voltage converter might be risky for a such..

Where did you purchase the printer?

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution Smiley Happy
Top Student
Message 3 of 11 (77 Views)

Bought the printer from staples. Does it matter if I bought it in Canada?

Provost
Message 4 of 11 (71 Views)

Hi,

A laser pritner sold in Canada is intended for 110V only, not for 220v.

Be aware that any hardware failure caused due to converting the power will void its warranty as listed on note 3 of its specifications.

You may find the printer specifications below:

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/product.aspx?sel=PRN&id=T0L50A&opt=BGJ

Regards,

Shlomi

If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution Smiley Happy
Top Student
Message 5 of 11 (69 Views)

Thank you, and I did go to the hyperlink. Here is what it says about the power supply:

"Battery and Power Power consumption 355 watts (active printing), 2.2 watts (ready), 1.4 watts (sleep), 0.8 watts (Auto Off/Wake on USB, enabled at shipment), 0.15 watts (Auto-off/Manual-on), 0.15 (Manual Off)

Power Input voltage 110 to 127 VAC (+/- 12%), 60 Hz (+/- 3 Hz) 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 12%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 3 Hz)

Power supply type Built-in power supply

Power consumption footnote number [3] "

Now could you please clarify if it will work with dual voltage? The documentation that came with it also said exactly what has been cut and pasted from the hyperlink that you had directed me to .

In the past have bought HP inkjet printers which were dual voltage. The only difference between the inkjet and laser jet printer is that the ink jet ones had an adapter which said exactly what the above says. The laser jet does not have an adapter but the power supply is built in the machine and I just do not feel comfortable opening it up. Hence the posts seeking clarifications from an HP expert.

Provost
Message 6 of 11 (64 Views)

Hi,

The document is worldwide intended for different regions, therefore present both options seperately, it is not dual voltage.

As example see an inkjet specification below which support dual band power input, a such would be listed as 100 - 240 VAC:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer

The difference between inkjet and laser printers is quite not only ink or laser, the entire mechanism works completely different, laser parts such as formatter, main board, heat fuser works wuite different and designed differently for 110 or 220V..

Shlomi

Top Student
Message 7 of 11 (62 Views)

So to have a laser jet printer working in a 220 V AC region have to buy one in the region. You are telling me that even if I use my existing printer with a step down external tranformer to go from 220 V to 110 V AC will not work and could void the manufacturer warranty on the equipment ?

Distinguished Professor
Message 8 of 11 (47 Views)

[ Edited ]

A 110 volt device should work OK on a 220-240 volt supply when fed via a suitable step-down transformer.

In the past, I successfuly ran (for 12 months - it was a loan device) a 110 v version of  a Colour LaserJet Enterprise M553x on a UK 220-240 v supply, via a step-down transformer.

The transformer has to be capable of safely providing sufficient power - laser devices are usually much higher wattage devices than inkjet printers, primarily because of the power requirement of the fuser unit, I believe.

I've no idea of the official position regarding warranties in this case.

Top Student
Message 9 of 11 (30 Views)

Thanks, for your feedback. I would think that with a step down transformer should do the trick. Would really appreciate your feedback as to the specs of the step down transformer based on your past experience. The printer specs are as follows:

Battery and Power:

Power consumption: 355 watts (active printing), 2.2 watts (ready), 1.4 watts (sleep), 0.8 watts (Auto Off/Wake on USB, enabled at shipment), 0.15 watts (Auto-off/Manual-on), 0.15 (Manual Off)

Power Input voltage :110 to 127 VAC (+/- 12%), 60 Hz (+/- 3 Hz) 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 12%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 3 Hz) Power supply type Built-in power supply Power consumption footnote number [3]

So the maximum wattage that the fuser would draw during printing would be around 355 watts? If I have a step down transformer which is rated for 500 watts, would that be good for the printer?

Distinguished Professor
Message 10 of 11 (25 Views)

I no longer have the printer, or the power supply.

But i think that the transformer was an ELC  T-1500 model; see (for example) this listing.

The Laserjet Enterprise M553x printer which it was used with has the following power requirements:

Capture.PNG

Note that the transformer (which was provided by the printer supplier) has a rating which is more than twice the 'active printing' requirement; I think that this is probably something to do with catering for 'surge' when the printer awakes from sleep and the fuser is warmed up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation