Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw color MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently installed a new Windows 10 desktop w/a wired connection to a modem/router.  I just installed software for a wireless connection to LaserJet Pro CM 1415fnw color MFP.  Installation process asked whether there is a proxy server.  Since I don't even know what one is, I said no - resulting in a popup saying the printer cannot connect to the internet.  Why does the printer need to connect to the internet? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mary120, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Run Network troubleshooter on the PC

Use the Network troubleshooter. Select Start  > Settings  > Network & Internet > Status. Under Change your network settings, select Network troubleshooter.

Check the connections. Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

To know how to connect the printer using an Ethernet cable, refer to this document.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I still get the message that the printer cannot connect to the internet.  I am able to print OK, so maybe an internet connection doesn't matter.  So my question is why should the printer connect to the internet?  If there's not practical reason that it should, then I guess proxy server business doesn't matter.  If there is a good reason, I still need some help.

HP Recommended

@Mary120,

The printer should be connected via Wireless, USB or Ethernet with the driver installed in the computer to communicate between each device.  

Note: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

Is the wireless light is blinking or steady?

If it is blinking connect the printer to the network.

If not, I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-cm1415-color-multifunctio... to download and install the Full software and Drivers.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.