Tutor
21 13 0 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Print selection drop down menu reduced to only half the choice I had

Colour Laser Jet M262dw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Unable to print photos and/or on card. Print media selection reduced by half. Message pops up:  Memory is Low. The device has insufficient memory to print the page. To continue, do one of the following: press OK button at the device to print a partial page, reduce the complexity of the page, or add memory to the device. In addition I cannot set the computer/printer to print on card. I have an iMac. Unable to find any settings to explain what's happening. Thank you very much  Bob692

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3353 3324 203 499
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Low memory errors can occur for a few reasons.  In my experience the most common is the temporary memory on teh printer is full from a previous job.  You can release the temporary memory by rebooting the printer.  Give that a shot first.

If that doesnt help then you will have to confirm the applciation you are using to print your photos.  The job you are sending to the printer may be too complex and need to be flattened out somehow.  This proces differs from application to application.  For example with Adobe PDF files we can use the "Print as Image" feature to work around many of these problems.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.
0 Kudos
Bob692 Tutor
Tutor
21 13 0 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately booting up my  printer did not work but ... Could you please define 'Booting up'. Does this mean switching off at the mains then switching it on again? Or does it mean something else? I am not a computer buff, I am a pensioner who struggles to understand computer/printer problems! In addition to the memory issue if I send a photo to print I cannot set it to print on card - like I used to be able to do - my print media selection is only half of what it used to be. I used to be able to print cards, photos etc. on 200 gsm card using the HP Brochure card setting. I cannot access it now. Instead there are 4 paper settings, glossy, with no paper/card weight specified.  It used to work, and print all right now but for some reason it's gone to crap. I would really value any help and support you may be able to offer me. If you cannot help then perhaps you'll know someone who can at HP.

Thank you

Bob692

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
3353 3324 203 499
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Could you please define 'Booting up'. Does this mean switching off at the mains then switching it on again? Or does it mean something else?

Correct.  Booting up means to power cylce the printer with the power switch or button on the printer.

> In addition to the memory issue if I send a photo to print I cannot set it to print on card

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling your printer from the latest software update available for your OS on the main HP support website.  The support website can be found here: http://support.hp.com.  Enter in your Printers model number and then navigate to the downloads and drivers area.  Review the options that are available and download the latest version.  Then uninstall your current printer software and reboot the computer.  When your computer comes back up then sign in and run the downloaded file you stored from the HP website earlier.  This will walk you through the rest of the steps.

If you need help on this entire process you might want to ask someone nearby to assist you.  HP will not assist you unless your printer is currently under warranty support.  If you do happen to have warranty remaining then try contacting HP directly.  Explaining the entire uninstall and reinstall process in detail for every OS also goes beyond my hospitality.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.
0 Kudos
Bob692 Tutor
Tutor
21 13 0 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you professor. My printer is still under warranty. I shall do as you say.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bob692 Tutor
Tutor
21 13 0 2
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I sorted out my printer problems myself. I used answers to problems previously addressed by HP. In addition I also got the correct driver for my printer. So, I reinstalled all printers, sought out the exact driver and downloaded it. This removed all the printer problems in one go. It took me about three hours in total. Job done and multiple printer problems resolved. Thanks. Bob692
Distinguished Professor
3353 3324 203 499
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the confirmation.  Glad to hear you got everything working!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation