Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Color Pro MFP m183fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am so frustrated!  I'm attempting to install this printer on a home network.  I was able to install it perfectly on computer 1.  It prints fine and there are no issues with the driver.  I go to the computer 2 and it shows up under Devices and Printers, but cannot be selected as the default, and says it's unavailable because the driver is unavailable.  

I was able to get on a chat with HP support, but was cutoff halfway through the process.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software on computer 2 several times now.  I have tried the Print and Scan Doctor software.  I always end up in the same place...driver unavailable.  I went to the support site and downloaded a driver, but that didn't work either.  

I have started over several times on this computer and just can't get it to work.  So frustrating!  

Someone please help.  I'm doing this for my boss, since he now needs to work from home and needs this new color printer like NOW.

Thanks...  😞

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@CatLady001, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you get driver unavailable error on the computer, let us try to isolate and resolve the issue-

Restart the print spooler and try uninstalling the drivers

Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

I recommend you delete the driver and root level, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for responding so quickly.  

I have gone through all of the steps you provided and then some.  Nothing works.  My printer driver doesn't show up.  I have attached a snip of the choices I have.  Mine is the Pro MFP m183fw.  It's not there.  I don't dare just guess.

HP Screen 1.JPG

What do I do now??  I just don't understand why it was so easy to install on computer 1 and is such an issue with computer 2.  I will say that computer 2 has an SSD where all programs are stored.  I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but just thought I'd mention it.

Looking forward to your next response.

HP Recommended

@CatLady001

Thanks for replying!

Click on Windows Update and try again. The driver options will get updated.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already tried it three times!  How many more times should I continue getting the same result??

HP Recommended

I was told by an agent on an HP chat that the problem is with the computer and he couldn't help me.  The computer was built by my boss's computer guy.  It's not a "store bought" or HP brand.  

I contacted the computer guy, and he informed me that because there are two other HP printers on the network, there are driver conflicts.  He said I need to uninstall all HP products and then use the HP Printer Software Removal tool to ensure that all signs of those printers/software are gone.  He then instructed me to install the newest printer first.

Is this the truth???  If so, I have put way too much faith in HP.   Myself, I have an HP computer and two HP printers.  I haven't had an issue with this type of conflict.  However, my boss is very unhappy and I can't seem to get a straight answer from HP about this.

Anything you can enlighten me about regarding this information would be very helpful.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

CatLady001, I had this same issue, except my printer is a CLJ3800. I followed the steps posted like you did, and didn't find my printer listed. Until I scrolled down in that list you posted. There should be another printer group listed below Honeywell, plain old "HP". My printer driver was located there. I'm not sure why there are 3 different groups for HP. But there are. Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I did as you said and my printer isn't in that list either.  Here's what I see:

CatLady001_0-1585346708856.png

Since mine is the MFP m183fw, you can see that it's not there.  Here's another section of options:

CatLady001_1-1585346782781.png

It's not here either.  It's simply not offered.

I'm at a total loss now.  Nothing I'm doing is working.  I need a viable solution.  I'm at my wits end...  😞  HELP!!!

HP Recommended

Did you try the driver for the  MFP m182-m185 PCL-6(V4) listed in HP?

To me, that says it's for models m182 thru m185. I would try it before following your other option.

Good luck

HP Recommended

All the letters and numbers following the ones that are right tell me that it’s a different machine.  I thought about trying it, but then I didn’t want to dig myself a deeper hole.  What makes you think this will work?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.