Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I have a wireless HP Envy 4520 All in One Printer, but when I check my computer, it always says 'Out of Paper' next to the printer name, but this is not true, as the tray is full....

I have tried removing the paper, and replacing it in the tray, as well as resetting the printer preferences, but the thing refuses to acknowledge that there is any paper in the tray?? :QuestionMark::HalfEyes::QuestionMark:

It says,  Status: Out of paper, no matter how much paper I have in the tray, and I cannot understand this. Is this a common HP printer bug of some sort, or is something wrong?? I can print a status report from the printer itself, so I am thinking it is a problem with the connection to the computer somehow. The printer knows that it has paper, but the computer will not show it. :QuestionMark:

Please clarify for me, and Thanks in advance. :OpenSmile:

PS. Also, is there some reason why I have to register again and again every time I come to this site?? It will not seem to remember me, even though I have registered here numerous times trying to get answers to questions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>  I can print a status report from the printer itself, so I am thinking it is a problem with the connection to the computer somehow. The printer knows that it has paper, but the computer will not show it.

Excellent observation.  It would appear the printer does know there is paper loaded, but the PC is not recieving the same status message.  I would experiment by temporarily installing the printer on a 2nd PC to compare and further isolate the problem to the original PC. 

If the problem is isolated to the primary PC then start with an uninstall and reinstall of the latest HP software for your OS from HPs support website.  This will clean up any temporary corruption and patch any issues that have been found.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

>  I can print a status report from the printer itself, so I am thinking it is a problem with the connection to the computer somehow. The printer knows that it has paper, but the computer will not show it.

Excellent observation.  It would appear the printer does know there is paper loaded, but the PC is not recieving the same status message.  I would experiment by temporarily installing the printer on a 2nd PC to compare and further isolate the problem to the original PC. 

If the problem is isolated to the primary PC then start with an uninstall and reinstall of the latest HP software for your OS from HPs support website.  This will clean up any temporary corruption and patch any issues that have been found.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.