Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I have a document in which the first page needs to be printed in full color, and the rest I would like to print in B&W/grayscale.

The document is a church bulletin/order of worship, and the church's logo is in color on the front. The rest of the document (booklet format, and 12 pages total) is all in black text/graphics. It is laid out in Adobe InDesign. About 30–40 copies are printed each week.

I've noticed that the color toner cartridges are depleting a lot faster than I would have expected, and in examination I saw that it was printing each page in "color" (even though the text itself is rendered as registration black in ID) which I assume means it is achieving the black through a composite of all 4 toners, rather than just the black one.

The printer is an HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw. One option that occurs to me is to set InDesign's color management in the printer profile to let the PostScript printer set the colors. Does anyone know if that option will achieve what I want to do? In other words: will the HP Color LaserJet distinguish the color portions from the black/grayscale parts, and optimize toner usage for each?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.