Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Enterprise flow MFP M880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to email support or chat and I cannot. Since my company didnt purchase the printers, a higher up entity did, I cant get assistance because I do not know PO info, and all. 

So anyway.... MY issue is this... Well this is the MAIN issue at the moment and I cannot find any help for it. 

On our network we have 3 of these printers all set up identical, with different IP addresses ( of course) All the other settigns are the same. 

The printer will print fine until it runs out of paper, or something happens, then the print spooler on the local machines across the network that are connected to that printer needs to be restarted and Print Jobs cleared. The printer will NOT automatically choose another tray for paper, so if one tray runs out, printing halts. Even though the same paper is in all drawers. Every user that is on the network mapped to the printer needs the print spooler reset even ones NOT currently printing at the time. The printer will not change its status after paper has been added to the empty tray.

I am not sure why the printer cannot communicate its status back to the Pc s and say its ready.  I thought maybe it was a port that was being blocked, or something but there is no change when the Anti Virus and Firewall is off. Im sure there is some setting that is wrong but with so many I have no clue where as Ive searched through the settings. 

I dont even know what ports it is using to communicate when its communicating status to try and see if its blocked. 

Nor any other settings to change for tray usage or disabling. 

The Workstations are set to let the printer decide what tray to use,  But it is still not working. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Make sure that drivers are configured to use a TCP/IP port and not a WSD port.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.