Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M506

We printed a configuration page of an HP laserjet M506 and it says it has an internal disk.

We we went to look for the internal disk no Hard drive could be found.

What could be the cause of this?

Thanks, CT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

With some of the current generation of printers:

• Some specification pages suggest that a hard disk is optional (and there may indeed be an optional "high-peformance secure hard disk" available).

• Other specification pages may indicate that the device contains "4 GB non-volatile storage, firmware encryption (AES 128 or AES 256) of customer/job data; Secure Cryptographic Erase – Job Data, Secure Erase – Disk".

I haven't looked up details of your M506 device, but I did do some research with a LaserJet Enterprise M553x printer (to which the above specification details allude).

The 'standard ' hard disk on this is actually an embedded MultiMedia Card (eMMC) rather than a mechanical hard disk.

The eMMC contains some non-volatile storage, but most is volatile.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

With some of the current generation of printers:

• Some specification pages suggest that a hard disk is optional (and there may indeed be an optional "high-peformance secure hard disk" available).

• Other specification pages may indicate that the device contains "4 GB non-volatile storage, firmware encryption (AES 128 or AES 256) of customer/job data; Secure Cryptographic Erase – Job Data, Secure Erase – Disk".

I haven't looked up details of your M506 device, but I did do some research with a LaserJet Enterprise M553x printer (to which the above specification details allude).

The 'standard ' hard disk on this is actually an embedded MultiMedia Card (eMMC) rather than a mechanical hard disk.

The eMMC contains some non-volatile storage, but most is volatile.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I did some additional research and it is indeed the eMMC that it is counting as a hard drive.

Regards, CT

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.