Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LaserJet M1212nf MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hey. I've upgraded to win 10 - now trying to install LaserJet printer have disabled Kasperski, but still get the msg: An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information contact the administrator.
Pls help.
Thank-you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good Afternoon @Wogla777,

This is a great location for extra support! I see that you are having issues installing the printer software. I would be glad to help you.

I have provided you with some steps for unlocking the Hidden Administrator Account and installing the printer on this account to see if that will help with this situation.

Note: Don't connect the USB cable in until prompted during the install.

• Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  • CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  • Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  • Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  • When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  • If your computer automatically logs into your account after the restart then go to your start menu and click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  • Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  • Test the printer.
  • To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having this issue, it may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.
  • Install the printer on that account.

To say thanks, you can click on the "Thumbs Up" and if the issue
is resolved you can click on the "Accept as Solution" button.  
Please let me know the outcome. Cheers!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Good Afternoon @Wogla777,

This is a great location for extra support! I see that you are having issues installing the printer software. I would be glad to help you.

I have provided you with some steps for unlocking the Hidden Administrator Account and installing the printer on this account to see if that will help with this situation.

Note: Don't connect the USB cable in until prompted during the install.

• Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  • CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  • Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  • Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  • When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  • If your computer automatically logs into your account after the restart then go to your start menu and click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  • Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  • Test the printer.
  • To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having this issue, it may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.
  • Install the printer on that account.

To say thanks, you can click on the "Thumbs Up" and if the issue
is resolved you can click on the "Accept as Solution" button.  
Please let me know the outcome. Cheers!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thank-you problem fixed
HP Recommended

It is hard for me to believe this long solution is necessary, for an error which should probably never happen, 

or should be fixed as soon as discovered.  

Just try following these instructions.  And when you get to reading the step referring back to step 1. notice that no steps are numbered. 

Also, I didn't find any reference to the model or models affected by this issue.  

Where is professionalism in this?   what sort of "PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE" are we seeing here?

Signed: Disappointed

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot  my problem has solved

HP Recommended

I have a HP Officejet 6700 Premium and a Mac computer. The printer shows “locked by administrator “ for all actions on my printer screen. I have disconnected completely, then reset to factory settings. Still locked and can’t use set up wizards.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I found other solutions offered but this  one worked. 

HP Recommended

Just Start the Command Prompt as Administrator (Search for cmd in start menu, right click on the "Command Prompt" icon and click "Run as Administrator"). Then Navigate to the printer driver drive/folder in command line by "cd <printer_drive>:" or "cd <folder_containing_printer_drivers". Then write "SISetup.exe" in the same command prompt and hit enter.

HP Recommended

Can't find "search programs and files" box

HP Recommended

@tubeampsrock

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number?

Which operating system is installed on the computer to which this printer is connected?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.