Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
C410W
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Whenever I try to print a document the document screen comes up and asks to save instead of Print. I cannot find how to change this.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@1WomanWorkforce

Are you printing from a browser? is it google chrome? If yes, go through the below steps to resolve the issue,

From the printing dialog of Chrome click the Change button and change from Save as PDF to your printer, then it should print instead of saving the file.

If it's a specific application on the computer, please let me know which applications is it, and if you've gone into printing preferences/control panel and set your printer as default instead of the Microsoft XPS document writer.

With that said, Welcome to HP Forums! 😉

Keep us posted. Although, I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I am not printing from Chrome. I am opening a Word doc and I have checked the printer settings and the printer I am using is set as the default printer. I can't find out why this is happening. I have Windows 10.

HP Recommended

@1WomanWorkforce I appreciate the details, and I recommend you reinstall the printer drivers using the below steps, it should perform a clean installation of the drivers, as a result clearing out any corruption within those existing drivers, and here's what you'll need to do:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

Keep us posted. Although, I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - thank you for your very hepful post. I have tried to do each stage but when I tried to remove the drivers this is the error message that I received.

The following package(s) can not be deleted:

sst8c.inf (x64)
This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
Samsung C410 Series; This driver is used on:
Samsung C410 Series

The following driver(s) can not be deleted:

Driver Samsung C410 Series (x64) is in use. It is used on:
Samsung C410 Series

HP Recommended

@1WomanWorkforce Since this is a windows related issue with deleting and reinstalling the printer drivers, I have a few more suggestions that may help, although the steps could get rather complicated and if you do not wish to perform these steps, you can always contact Samsung support line using this link: (For support options for Samsung Printers in your country or region) www.hp.com/support/samsung 

Please follow the step by step instructions:

Remove a printer

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter. 
2. Find the icons of installed printers, and delete them. 
3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties". 
4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printers and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.
5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".
6. Try to remove all related printer software.

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest that you clear the printing subsystem.

Step 1
======
Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders: 
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 
To rename a file, we can right-click the file and select Rename.

Step 2 
======
1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search Bar, and then press ENTER.
2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 
View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:
Drivers 
Print Processors 
If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps: 
a. On the File menu, click Export. 
b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop. 
We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure. 
c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors. 

Step 3
======
Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys: 
BJ Language Monitor 
Local Port
Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor
Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
WSD Port
If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:
a. On the File menu, click Export. 
b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop. 
We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure. 
c. Delete all keys other than the 5 listed above. 

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer. 

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This happen before and it was hell getting it fixed. I can't even remember what I had to do..maybe remove the printer and add it again. Why does this continue to happen and how do I fix it so it is a permanent fix. I use both a Chromebook and Windows 10, using the Chrome browser on both. It's annoying to have use a USB connection to print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.