Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP4700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Running Office 365

We have updated drivers

Problem: When we send a print file to the printer it will print about half or less of the file. (i.e. 50 out of 100 pages) Then it stops and goes into ready status and then starts the print job over from the beginning. We get an "error printing" message. We are using word mail merge but have sent the file to another printer and it works fine. 

Any ideas on how to correct this behavior? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This is an older printer and if you have not kept the firmware current that may be part of the problem or it may simply be running out of memory.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

It is an older printer, but up until recently (last 2 months) it has worked flawlessly. How can I check that firmware is up to date? I pulled an event log today and the event 49.B9F3, 49.B873 and 49.B8F3 are the most common in the last 3 weeks. Description just says "printer error" 

Thank you for your input,

MJ

HP Recommended

49 errors indicate that printer is getting print information it does not understand.  The firmware version can be found on the configuration page. Compare it to the version listed at support.HP.com.

Update as required.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Like a previous post states, 49 errors are typically something in the document the printer can't process, typically a font. Sometimes updating the firmware will help, but the last firmware update for a CLJ 4700 printer is from December 2014, so most likely not going to help. Sometimes an older or different driver (i.e. PS, PCL5, PCL6, Universal, etc.) can have a positive effect.

When the printer encounters the problem, it will stop, error, then reset to try to clear, but when job is resent by computer, problem returns. Sending to a different printer usually works as well, as you found out, as it has different firmware and drivers.

You could also try changing the fonts in the document where it fails to see it that helps as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.