Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Overnight, my three month old Laserjet began to print Microsoft Word and Microsoft Publisher documents incorrectly.  The text is printed, but only in outline form--the body of each character is white.  Pictures are also reduced to outlines or solid black shapes.  I did not change any settings on the printer or computer.  I checked all print settings, reset the printer to factory default, and tried printing using the HP universal driver and still got the same result.

I seem to remember seeing something about an update on the printer screen the last time I used it.  Did an HP firmware update render my printer useless.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Same problem here.  Performed update, now everything prints outlines only.

MFP M477 (V3)

Was very happy with the printer prior to this.

PLEASE HELP !!

******* Edit ***********

I've opened a support ticket and will update here once I get resolution.

HP Recommended

Update:

Submitted a ticket and got a call back from HP. Worked over the phone for 20-30 minutes to resolve the issue. Did a cold reset to default factory settings (I think that's what its called) and the problem went away. Still have the same, latest firmware (20160331) installed, so it did not roll back the firmware update.

Suggest you open a ticket if you haven't, to get resolution.

What finally worked for me: (do this at your own risk)
1) power down
2) power on
3) when hp logo appears, press and hold the lower left of touchscreen.
4) release when another message appears (don't remember the wording)

After that, I had to go through inital setup of selecting language, etc.
Then it worked.

Kudos to HP for the quick call back and fixing the problem!

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting, have been trying to resolve this after an update and glad to find some sort of answer as similar queries have gone unanswered elshere.

A.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.