Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet CP1025nw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Here's what happened:

1. Printer black toner was low and printer wouldn't print (I thought this was weird, because it used to just give me a warning that quality would decrease but it would still print)

2. Replaced toner cartridge (have done many times before without issues, no user error there, I promise)

3. Printer utility seemed to recognize new toner briefly (I use ethernet to connect printer and have been doing so for months)

4. Printer utility then seemed to NOT recognize new toner, and anyway, it still wouldn't print

5. Got utility to recognize toner but black toner light was still on sometimes, other times not, didn't seem to matter either way, still wouldn't print

6. Toner cartridges wouldn't rotate anymore (I tried taking the cartridge out and putting it back in, inspected for damage, tried to see if taking out and putting back color cartridges would do anything, hence trying to rotate it to no avail)

7. Did a bunch of turning off and on, unplugging/replugging, restarting computer, factory reset printer, etc., got cartridges to rotate finally, still wouldn't print

8. Computer kept saying different things: printer is offline (but it wasn't), can't connect to printer, sending data to printer, printing ... But none of these ever would actually print, and the print job just disappeared from the list (didn't fail or get stuck or anything, just poof, nothing)

9. Finally connected printer via USB cable

10. Computer still wouldn't recognize printer; I restarted printer and computer, and it recognized it finally

11. YET, STILL, when I print, it says "Sending data to printer" for a few seconds and then the job just disappears, printing nothing

I have tried literally everything I can think of, even going through these forums. What is going on??? Is my printer just dead inside somehow? Could this have something to do with my recent update to Catalina? I think this may have started happening shortly after I updated. PLEASE HELP.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@torivera, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP LaserJet CP1025nw Color Printer driver for macOS 10.15 Catalina is not available from the HP website or Apple Software Update. However, this printer is Airprint compatible.

If you are using a USB cable, make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus    

Install the printer using AirPrint driver

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your detailed answer. However, I'm still not able to get this set up. 

You said: Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus    

I did this and the printer shows up under 3.0. I’ve tried connecting the USB cable from the printer to my Mac in every single one of the different ports it has. None are showing up as 2.0 on the screen. If it matters, they are all white inside, and the cable is also white inside (I heard 3.0 ports are blue inside?)

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

This is exactly the problem. The HP website won’t let me update the firmware. When I click on that “update printer firmware link” it takes me to a page that says:

1. Update directly from the printer
  2. Download firmware from the HP website
  3. Install updates through the HP Smart app

For 1, the directions say I can’t update this way because “If the printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, this update method is not available.” My printer is wireless capable, but has to first be set up via USB to get it onto the same network as the computer.

For 2, I’m taken to the Software and Driver Downloads page, which makes me put in my printer (HP LaserJet CP1025nw) and the site detects my operating system automatically (MacOS Catalina) then I get the same message I was getting before: “We were unable to find drivers for your product. Try manually selecting your operating system. If your operating system is not listed then HP may not provide driver support for your product with that operating system.” And of course I can’t manually select my operating system because the highest available is 10.13 and I’m on 10.15.

Update software on Mac 

That is updated 100% current, I just checked now.

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

I did all of that. Afterwards, I see two printers listed, HP LaserJet CP1025nw with Bonjour, and HP LaserJet CP1025nw with USB. But for both of those, the only options I get under the “Use:” dropdown menu are Auto Select, Select Software…, and Other…. There is no AirPrint option.

So basically, my Mac software is updated, but I am still not able to update the printer firmware in order to use AirPrint. But also, you said my printer should be AirPrint compatible. I went to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311 and it’s not listed. 

Do I just have to get a new printer now? I'd really like not to, but I also don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to. Either way, I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@torivera

Thank you for the detailed response. According to this document, HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer is AirPrint compatible.

Do you have any Anti-virus software installed on the MAC? If yes, kindly uninstall the same and try again.

To update the printer firmware, you may connect the printer to a wireless network and try again.

Refer to this document to know how to connect the printer to the network.

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for further assistance:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.