Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet P1102w
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have been using third party printer cartridges for years. Now, when I put in a new one, it says it's incompatible. However, the printer app prints diagnostic pages perfectly, so the cartridge works. It won't print anything else, though. I heard HP sabatoges the printer by only allowing "HP" print cartridges.  Is there any way to get my printer to accept the third party cartidges again like it used to?  If not, I will spend the $60 - $80 I would have spent on a new "HP" cartridge to toward a new, non-HP printer. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @PaulSputnick,

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

This is a great place to get support, find answers 

I understand that the printer is not accepting the toner.

No worries, I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Are you using a genuine HP Toner?

Have tried any troubleshooting steps?

The HP Print Cartridge Anti-Counterfeit Information website helps you determine if your cartridge is a genuine HP cartridge, and what to do if your cartridge is not a genuine HP cartridge. Your cartridge might not be a genuine HP cartridge if you notice the following:

• The Supplies Status Page indicates that a non-HP supply is installed.

• You are experiencing a high number of problems with the cartridge.

• The cartridge does not look as it usually does (for example, the packaging differs from genuine HP packaging).

If the issue persists, try with a different set of the cartridge.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

If your product is Out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance.

Hope that helps! Let me know 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. 

To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

It's pretty obvious you didn't read my post. Of course it's not "HP" ink- that's what I said in the post. So you're basically saying the HP rigged my printer so it will no longer accept third party inck cartridges???  How dissapointing.

HP Recommended

I followed your directions but it won't let me call anyone. Supposedly there is a firmware update that takes off the block. There were some firmware updates on the HP site, but they won't load. Any ideas? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi @PaulSputnick,

Thanks for replying.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

If your product is Out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance.

Hope that helps! Let me know 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. 

To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Again, I followed your direction and there is absolutely no option to call anyone, pay or not. I'm not sure what you think I will find, but there's nothing there. Nobody wants to help me- they just want me to buy over priced ink, which I refuse to do. I am currently shopping for another brand of printer. I used to like HP, now I hate them.

HP Recommended

Hi @PaulSputnick,

Thanks for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I am continually having that same problem and a little angry at the moment having just purchased a new HP laptop yet now I can’t print.

what was their solution to the bs they caused 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.