Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 5550
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hi all, 

My black prints are coming out with missing toner, but the missing toner will appear on the back or on the next page. This doesnt always happen but most of the time. 

The toner on the page feels almost 3D or it has a texture to it that the other toner doesnt have.

Please can someone help! 

Thanks

Print-issue.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you could try a "heavy" or "cardstock" driver and paper type setting you may get better results instead of just "any type". Those paper type setting should cause the fuser to run at a little higher temperature, adhering the toner better. I'm not certain on engine speed, but it may also cause the print engine to run just a touch slower, which would also give the paper a little more time to have to toner fused to it.

100gm2 a little heavier than just a plain 20#(75gm/2) bond paper, but ligher weight than a cardstock (218gm/2). I would consider 100gm/2 to be equal to about a 70# offset paper.

As long as the driver paper type and printer paper type match, you shouldnt get a prompt at the printer to load a paper.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

are you using just a plain 20# paper, or is this a heavy cardstock. Sounds like the fuser is not adhereing to the paper very well. Could be several things. Old or defective toner, worn fuser, or paper weight is wrong and the fuser is not getting to the proper temperature to adhere the toner.

Are you using an OEM HP toner, or an off brand?

How old is your toner?

How long has it been since the fuser has been replaced?

If you print just a normal text document on plain paer- does everything look ok?

I have seen a number of instances where a remanufactured toner would put WAAAYYYYY to much toner on a page when a heavy or cardstock paper was selected (over 60#)

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Hi, 

The paper type we are using is plain paper 100 gm2.  When I tried adjusting the paper settings on the web config page it began asking to confirm paper size on each print so I reverted it back to 'Any Type'.

We are using Official HP Toner which is new. 

I replaced the fuser recently (Last week) as I was having issues with paper jamming frequently and found information online pointing to the fuser. Since changing the fuser the jamming has stopped. However this issue started before I changed the fuser.

! - Yes if I print text, the print is fine, the issue generally happens when there is a lot of toner on the page or a complicated image. 

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

If you could try a "heavy" or "cardstock" driver and paper type setting you may get better results instead of just "any type". Those paper type setting should cause the fuser to run at a little higher temperature, adhering the toner better. I'm not certain on engine speed, but it may also cause the print engine to run just a touch slower, which would also give the paper a little more time to have to toner fused to it.

100gm2 a little heavier than just a plain 20#(75gm/2) bond paper, but ligher weight than a cardstock (218gm/2). I would consider 100gm/2 to be equal to about a 70# offset paper.

As long as the driver paper type and printer paper type match, you shouldnt get a prompt at the printer to load a paper.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I changed the paper type to extra heavy and this slowed down the printing process dramatically but the ink on the page is 95% flatter on the page only feeling a tiny bump over the black edges and no splatters or areas where the toner can flake off. 

Thanks 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.