Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LASER JET PRO MFP M277

laser jet pro map m277 - reports document feeder empty even when paper loaded

Tried rebooting; tried copying and printing

copy works on alt tray but not main tray

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MAGMAN42

Welcome to HP support community.

1. Open the printer and remove any jammed sheets of paper. Verify that no torn remnants of paper remain inside the printer.

2. Load the tray with the correct size of paper for the job.

3. Make sure the paper size and type are set correctly on the printer control panel.

4. Make sure the paper guides in the tray are adjusted correctly for the size of paper. Adjust the guides to the appropriate indentation in the tray. The arrow on the tray guide should line up exactly with the marking on the tray.

NOTE: 

Do not adjust the paper guides tightly against the paper stack. Adjust them to the indentations or markings in the tray.

The following images show examples of the paper-size indentations in the trays for various printers. Most HP printers have markings similar to these.

Figure : Size markings for Tray 1 or the multipurpose tray

Figure : Size markings for cassette trays

5. Verify that the humidity in the room is within specifications for this printer and that paper is being stored in unopened packages. Most reams of paper are sold in moisture-proof wrapping to keep paper dry.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Pull out the tray and look at the left side. The metal paper tray should sit in an opening of a nylon c shape that moves up and down with the tray to show how much paper is in the tray. Sometimes the metal tray becomes stuck under the plastic and cannot rise properly to let paper feed. If this is the case you need to get the tray seated properly in this plastic lever.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.