Chief2013
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printing Problems

HP Envy 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to print Avery 5235 labels on my HP Envy 7855, but I tried photo tray and main tray with no luck

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
23,815 23,596 2,044 7,473
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printing Problems

@Chief2013 

Disclaimer

Nothing from here to the end of this message is guaranteed to be useful.  I do hope something here helps you figure out whether this label print task will work on your printer and how to accomplish the goal.

I have read several posts about printers and stubborn behavior printing (and not printing) from the photo tray.  I do  not have this printer.  I cannot - and do not intend to - judge whether issues are self-inflicted or there is something about the printer itself that contributes to the underlying cause of any printing problems. 

I depend my own experience printing labels of various types and on the little I can find in the printer documentation for this model. 

Continue...

Questions to be answered...

• What kind of "no luck" ?
  • Is there an error message?  Maybe more than one?
  • Settings Adjusted?  Source (Tray), Media type (kind of paper), Paper size?  If yes, are there conflicts?
  • What software is being used to create the labels and submit the job to the printer?

In general, this printer supports "cards", though the sizes and weight details are sorely lacking from both the Specifications and the Datasheet.

Also "in general", when a printer supports "card" paper, it is frequently defined as "Index" paper (an ISO standard for paper type manufacture).  Supported weights in this class (assuming supported) is typically 163 to 200 gsm.

"Card" is perhaps an allowed (supported) Media type (kind of paper) to use when printing "labels" that are on paper that is heavier than normal paper.

Even assuming lack of custom size support, "Card" paper might also be supported in this common 4x6 inch size - Avery Template 5235

A question, then, is whether the fussy little photo paper tray not only supports the very common 4x6 inch Media type photo paper (which it does unless the printer is from another galaxy) - whether the printer photo tray supports Media type Index / Card paper (in that same size).

Could you just tell the printer there is photo paper in the photo tray when there is, in fact, some "other" kind of paper in the tray?  No - not usually - most printers can "sense" photo paper and won't let you try to trick the setup.

What to do?

Load your "label paper" into the photo tray, print side down, "top" of the form to the back of the printer.

Shut the tray, look for a message on the printer control panel about changing the paper size / type - click change / modify (the wording varies), enter the paper size and try to find some kind (anything close) paper type to go with the size that is not "photo paper".

Set the Printing Preferences and your print options.

For example,

Source = photo tray

Size = 4x6

Orientation = Portrait

Media type Index / Card / thick "something that is not photo paper"

Try it.

If that won't work due to conflicts, rejected paper type, weird errors,

try instead:

Remove the little label paper from the photo tray - put your photo paper back into the tray  - close the drawer.

Retain / change the settings on the Printer Control Panel

Remove the large / regular paper from the main tray

Load your "label paper" into the photo tray, print side down, "top" of the form to the back of the printer.

Retain / change the settings on the Printer Control Panel

If you cannot find the size / type match you need, try using size "Custom"

Set your printing preferences in the software used to create / print the labels

For example

Source = Tray 1 / Main (wording may vary)

Size = 4x6

Orientation = Portrait

Media type Index / Card / brochure matte /  thick "something that is not photo paper"

Notes:

• Generally, you do not want to change the margins - for example, using the 5235 template for Word, sets the margins to "custom".  Leave this setting alone.
  • Both Avery Design & Print software and Word can export the created labels document to PDF.  Adobe Reader DC can print a PDF file - the Properties / Printing Preferences are still critical, of course - the setup itself might go more smoothly with a different print menu and visible setup to follow.

References

Avery Design and Print (Download for Desktop)

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Labels_Business-Cards_Cards

Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklet, Create Template/Table

Topics / Subjects, various, including:

• Preparation
  • Labels, Cards, and Business Cards
    • Office Word
    • HP Photo Creations and Avery Templates
    • Avery Design and Print (through Windows 10.x) and Mac
      • Print from PDF feature
    • Avery Wizard for Word (through Windows 8.x)
  • Printing and Printing Preferences – Notes
  • Print Booklet
    • Foxit Reader - Booklet
    • Adobe Reader - Booklet
  • Print on Inside of Greeting Card - Test
  • Additional Help (Documents and Notes)

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Photo 7855 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation