Post new question
Question
Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64, No driver in Universal Print Driver v5.0.3
Replies (25)

Student
Message 11 of 26 (46,341 Views)

Re: Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64, No driver in Universal Print Driver v5.0.3

[ Edited ]

I have started with installing the printer like local. It hasn't appear in predefined items of HP. Under the list I've pressed the button "Windows update". After updating, the driver for 4050n appeared in the list. I've installed it like local. After that I've installed it like network printer whithout any problem. At the end I've deleted the local printer. Good luck!

Student
Message 12 of 26 (45,623 Views)

Re: Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64, No driver in Universal Print Driver v5.0.3

Thanks so much! That finally worked out with the PCL 6 for my 4050 TN. I'm so glad that there people like you all who are willing to share your knowledge to help eachother solve problems. Thanks again!

Student
Message 13 of 26 (43,675 Views)

re: "You'll then go in the new printer's properties, on the "Ports" tab, and click on "Add Port...". If you're installing a shared printer, you'll select "Local Port", click on "New Port..." and specify the path to the printer (e.g. \\myserver\hplaserj) as the port name."

When I specify the path to the printer I get an alert saying Access is Denied. The path looks like it is being interpreted correctly (when I enter a wrong path I get a different alert).

I am trying to print from a Windows 2000 box to an HP LaserJet 2100 printer attached to a Windows 7 64x box.

The printer in question shows up in Windows Explorer on Windows 2000 box.

I've tried to disable the Windows 7 security settings for the printer (i.e. allowing Everyone permission to manage) and I've disabled the Windows 7 firewall for the Home network.  I've tried installing the Windows 7 Universal Print Drivers posted at HP (first the x64 then the extra x32 driver) on the Windows 7 box. Windows 2000 picks those up and transfers the x32 driver ok but.... there appears to be a version problem (PCL 5 at version 5.3) as I just get alerts saying an operation cannot be completed if I try to check the printer's properties or preferences from the Windows 2000 box.

Any suggestions on avoiding the access denied roadblock?

Any ideas where I could get Windows 7 x64 and x32 Universal Print Drivers at PCL 5 at  version 4.1 ?

Honor Student
Message 14 of 26 (42,352 Views)

Hello guys, I am having the same problem but I am a complete novice at computing. I read the responses on what to do but it was completely foreign to me. Does anyone have actual step by step instructions on how to get my 4050 printer connected to windows 7. thanks for your help

Student
Message 15 of 26 (42,111 Views)

I have a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit. I have an old printer manufactured in 2000. It's a LaserJet 4050. I have tried the Windows drivers and the HP universal drivers PCL5 (and PCL6) and all I get on a test page (with PCL5) is gibberish and numerous pages of it till I push cancel numerous times.

Does the age of my printer mean I can't use it with Windows 7. HP support seems to be telling me this.

Student
Message 16 of 26 (41,821 Views)

I used this method to solve the same problem and it worked like a charm.

Thanks.

Student
Message 17 of 26 (41,718 Views)

Re: Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am also having trouble installing my HP Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64.   Because the inputs are not compatible with my laptop I am using a parallel port Print Server to have acces to the printer. 

This is a 'hand-me-down' printer and I don't know exactly if it is the 5 PCL, 6 PCL, or PS (I wouldn't even know where to look to find out)

I have installed all three sets of drivers but it does not complete the test print for any of them.

I have gone through the Windows Update, I have downloaded all the drivers I could find on the HP Support website, I have had 2 family members (one a computer programmer, the other a computer technician) try to get it to work, with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Student
Message 18 of 26 (41,575 Views)

[ Edited ]

"Hi,

I am also having trouble installing my HP Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64.   Because the inputs are not compatible with my laptop I am using a parallel port Print Server to have acces to the printer. 

This is a 'hand-me-down' printer and I don't know exactly if it is the 5 PCL, 6 PCL, or PS (I wouldn't even know where to look to find out)

I have installed all three sets of drivers but it does not complete the test print for any of them.

I have gone through the Windows Update, I have downloaded all the drivers I could find on the HP Support website, I have had 2 family members (one a computer programmer, the other a computer technician) try to get it to work, with no luck.

Any suggestions?"

Have you tried a Parallel to USB (windows 7 compatible) cable?  Google or click: parallel to usb windows 7 compatible

Then if you still can't get it to print, try the tips from this page: Click Here

Student
Message 19 of 26 (39,198 Views)

I finally got this to work with my HP LaserJet 4050 on Windows 7 x64.

Here are the simple steps I took:

- Attached printer with Parallel to USB cord (less than $10 online)

- Downloaded HP Universal Printer Driver for Windows PCL5
- Double-click on the driver file
- Unzip to default (C drive root)
- Yes to accept terms
- Traditional Mode
- Add a Local Printer
- Use existing port: USB001 (Virtual Printer Port for USB)
- Choose HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.5.0)
- Name the printer

Hope that helps someone.  It was making me crazy.

Student
Message 20 of 26 (39,028 Views)

You are my printer hero! After spending hour scouring HP printer message boards, your post was the only one that provided victorious results. Thank you so much for your imput!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation