Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveR_1965
1 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Printer is offline in Windows. How do I get it back online?

I ahve the same problem on a new HP 254dw Lasr jet printer purchased two weeks ago. It keeps going "offline" I have tried all the fixes from the support pages and installed the drivers from the HO site twice . It works fine when i use it after reinstalling but when it goes to sleep it comes back as offlien every time. The only way I can get it to print is to switch off and then back on . Please can anyone help. I am running windows 10 which has ALL the updates installed.

TIA

1 REPLY 1
Level 11
Level 11
3,561 3,547 353 740
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Printer is offline in Windows. How do I get it back online?

Are you connecting to the printer with wired or wireless ethernet? If you are then the problem is likely the type of port that Windows uses for the printer driver. Windows 10 will use a WSD driver, which are notorious for not connecting to printers when they go to sleep or updating when you add paper. The fix is to change the port type on the printer driver to a standard TCP/IP port. You also want to disable windows print management. 

To change the port type. First you want to set the printer on a static IP (manual) address. Do this by either reserving the address for the printer or manually setting it from the network setup menu on the printer. Once that is done, on your PC, go to control panel>devices and printers and right click on the icon for your printer. From the drop down menu click on "printer properties" and then click the "ports tab". Click add new port and select standard TCP/IP port as port type. Input the IP address of the printer when prompted, click apply or ok, whichever displays to complete the action. Click all apply or ok buttons until the menus are done. Then try a test print.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation