Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
binnsdm
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: hp color laserjet 2840 missing yellow

Has a fix for this problem been identified yet?  I have similar symptoms with my HP2840:

1) I can print multiple pages of black and white printing

2) First page of a color print job looks good (most of the time), but subsequent pages are very light colors or colors missing. 

3) sometimes when I open the printer, I can manually advance the carousel with a little force by hand.  I believe there should be a lock to prevent this movement. 

I am assuming that there may be a break mechanism to stop the carousel that may be malfunctioning.

I took the time to remove all of the covers and the scanner to inspect the sticky solenoid that I have read about.  I found that my solenoid pad was still intact, but I scraped it off anyway and replaced it with a piece of good electrical tape.  This didn't appear to change anything.

I have swapped out all color toners + image drum, but I still see these symptoms.  The printer is practically useless for color printing at this point. 

7 REPLIES 7
Level 12
Level 12
3,713 3,670 304 713
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you can rotate the carousel by hand the solenoid is sticking.

Did you clean the residue off both sides?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
3,713 3,670 304 713
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a follow up to my last post the carousel should move fairly easily by hand when the solenoid is stuck.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
0 Kudos
Level 13
7,130 7,121 558 1,002
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What pad did you remove? The pad is a small piece on the ledge of the solenoid that the "L" arm hits when it moves towards the center of the solenoid. To perform the correct procedure you need to remove the solenoid, remove the "L" arm and spring, clean off the ledge of all residue and put other material down and then test by putting the "L" arm and spring back on and then pushing by hand the "L" arm towards the center so it hits the center and it should spring back and not stick.

0 Kudos
binnsdm
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It took me close to an hour to crack the case to the point where I found the solenoid itself.  Then it took some clever adaptions of tools to unscrew the solenoid without having to remove the circuit board under the right side cover.  Once I got the solenoid free, I only saw a single pad at the end of a flat metal arm.  I assume this is the "L" arm solenoid pad that is referrred to.  My pad was actually still intact, and didn't seem sticky.  I decided to remove the pad anyway and cleaned the surface, because I didn't want to have to get back into there any time soon.  I did not remove the arm or spring from the solenoid, but they appeared to be working they way they should.

When I say that "I can manually advance the carousel with a little force by hand", It doesn't move as freely as it does when I depress the bypass button with a small diameter straw (see attached image).  If I'm not pressing on the bypass switch, then it takes a bit of pressure to move the carousel, and I can hear a click when it releases.  It will then advance about 1/4 turn before it clicks in.  Then I can apply some pressure and it will advance again 1/4 turn.  The carousel will only move towards me when I try this, it will not move backwards unless I depress the bypass button.

photo of red straw in top right corner pressing what I am calling the "bypass button".  Is this manually activating the solenoid? IMG_6882.JPG

0 Kudos
dbk99
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: HP Color LaserJet 2840.  I removed the side and top panels as per directions

from the HP CLJ Service Manual.  Located the solenoid and remove one screw holding

the solenoid in place.  I cleaned the pad on the solenoid arm and replaced it.

My question is what is the L arm and where is the spring?

Now I cannot rotate the carousel arm whereas before I could.  I believe this has

something to do with the L arm and spring but I don't know where they are and

how to locate them.

Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
3,525 3,511 346 732
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

believe the L he is referring to is the moving arm on the solenoid as per picture below

solenoid.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
0 Kudos
dbk99
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have reinstalled the solenoid in my HP Color LaserJet 2840 twice (this is after cleaning the pad and putting

in a new felt tip pad) and after the installation (attaching the solenoid to the frame with the one screw) I cannot

rotate the carousel by inserting the plastic straw trick in the hole as I could before.

Is there a trick or correct method for attaching the solenoid to the metal frame so I can use the

plastic staw method to release the clutch and rotate the carousel?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation