Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro CM1415fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to connect the above printer to a LAN.  The printer is currently connected directly to a Win 10 Pro pC via USB.

I am assuming that if I can reset the printer to defaults, thta I will be able to configure the printer for connection to a LAN as a network printer.

The second step would be to undertake a firmware update for the printer.

Thanksin advance for any advice on how to go about the reset.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Greetings @GeoffD1,

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums. 

I understand that you are looking to reconfigure your printer through ethernet. Happy to help.

Have you tried any procedure to on your own to reconfigure your printer?

Recommend you to update the firmware on the printer first. Click here for assistance. 

Once you have updated the firmware. Disconnect the printer from your computer. 

Uninstall the printer software using the method mentioned below. 

Uninstall the printer from programs and features from the control panel.

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it.

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Update the firmware on the printer using the control panel on the printer. (Will require the printer to be connected to your wireless network.)

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Now follow the procedure mentioned in this article to configure the printer using ethernet. 

Click here for the printer manual

Let me know if this helps. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.

Thanks for the detailed process.  I did all the steps you told me to do but it all failed.

The message I get has words to this effect:

"The process took too long to complete.  This is a fatal error and the installation cannot proceed".

So It seems there is something about this printer thta just will not allow the installation of new software or firmware at all.

I really do believe that the only solution thta is viable is a complete hardware reset of the printer, similar to that which one does when having similar issues with routers.

best

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you first update the firmware using the USB connection. 

Uninstall the printer following the method suggested. Restart the computer and install the printer software, connect the printer only when the installation prompts for the printer to be connected. 

Also, refer to this article for assistance. 

Hope this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there a way to confirm that the firmware update was successful at least?

I am at a loss to see where in the process, the updates are failing.

Yes I have deleted absolutely ALL the software related to HP on the computer!

Frankly, HP really needs to get ist act together with printer installations -- it is far too complicated and the manuls are next to useless.

Geoff

Update:

I have started the process all over again from scratch.  This time I am NOPT using the download assistant, because it runs ahead of itself andstarts doing other thigs before the first request has benn completely handled.

I have downloaded the firmware update only and will try and run thta on its own without anything else running on the computer.

I still believe that the real to all of these hassles is to provide for the device reset facility on the printer thta can be done without any connections to anything.  It should alos be possible to undertake firmware updates from a USB stick instead of having to use a computer connection of any sort.

These two facilities will vastly improve the efficiency of solving printer issues in environements where good internet connectivity is still a pipe dream and in home environements where users are typically not computer geeks. ( In fact maybe, the printer will be protected from computer geeks who think they know everything as well!)

HP Recommended

Update 2:

Having now for the 3rd time gone through this process and coming to the exact same point:

The printer will not negotiate with the LAN connection whether connected direct to a PC or to a switch which I know works!  Either this printer is NOT configured to be able to be used as a LAN printer, OR, the Ethernet card is disabled somehow.

The lights on ethernet connection DO NOT flash and the DHCP server on the lAN does not get a request to allocate a IP address to the printer.

So I am about to re-install the software AGAIN!  And I know thta this process is going to get to a point where the ONLY way I will be able to talk to this printer is via a USB cable connected directly to a PC.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. To check the version of the firmware installed on the printer, you can print a printer status report check the version installed in the printer. 

Recommend you to try a different LAN cable if possible as you have mentioned that there are no lights blinking on the port. 

Also, if possible please contact our phone support for assistance as they can take a remote of your computer and check the settings.

Keep me posted. 

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have changed the LAN cable and used one that is normally used to connect the router over which I am sending this message right now! IOW, you are seeing this message over the LAN cable that I try to use with the printer.

There is nothing phyiscally wrong here except for the printer interface!

And BTW, why is it so difficult to get to the hidden screens on the printer?  Yes I tried a telephone call to HPs local help centre, and frankly, it was even less of a help!  I had to guide the person to what was available on your website!

There is NO resolution to the fact that one cannot install the sw either!  The process crashes at the same place everytime with the fatal error and the process suggested on your website to resolve it does NOT work under WIN 10.

I have to face up to the fact that I either use the printer connected directly to my PC over the USB cable or use a wireless connection because HP is just not able to provide any solution to help with a LAN connection!

I would love to get to the point where I can try the switching process, BUT that requires for the sw installatioon to complete first.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying to contact our phone support. Found this article that has the procedure to overcome the fatal error. Please try the procedure mentioned in the article and let me know how it goes.

Let me know if this helped. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Found that procedure and already tried it.  Also commented that the procedure is not entirely accurate for WIN 10.

Again, regardless of the driver sw being up to date, the sw installation proces still fails to complete.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.