Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@SebP1, @B0B0

Sure, I have already sent a message with the reset instructions. Kindly check the same.

Keep us posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

(Tech mode Data Setup → Clear All Mem) I tried now but the proposed solution doesn't work. I tried with admin (lower case) and no password.

HP Recommended

@B0B0

That's unfortunate. If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,
Can you aid me as well with a private message to reset the admin password.?

I can't login and have not set any password myself

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same issue.

Could you, please help me.

Thanks

HP Recommended

H, Could you send me instructions as well,  have the same problem with my Color Laser MFP 178nw

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar0307

Looking for some help, please.

I just bought an HP Color Laser MFP 178nw and trying to login to the device web interface with admin account. 

Authentication fails with message "Login Failed. Please make sure your ID and Password are correct."

I have tried blank/blank, admin/blank, admin/admin and Admin/Admin without success.

What are the default admin account credentials for this device?

Please provide procedure to reset the password?

Thanks for your support!

Znap

HP Recommended

@Znap

Welcome to the HP support community.

Restore the wireless network settings

Press the (Menu) button > Network > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Default > Restore... on the control panel. The machine starts restoring default wireless network settings.

Connect the printer using wireless setup wizard again

1 Select the (Menu) > Network > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Settings button on the control panel. Or, Press the (Wireless), access to the Wi-Fi menu.

2 Press the OK to select the setup method you want. • Wizard > Search List (recommended): In this mode, the setup is automatic. The machine will display a list of available networks from which to choose. After a network is chosen then printer will prompt for the corresponding security key. • Custom: In this mode, users can give or edit manually their own SSID, or choose the security option in detail.

3 Follow the instructions to set up the wireless network.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am puzzled about why HP does not post the simple solution to the issue, but anyway, here we go:

- Turn on the printer

- On the touch panel choose the "Menu" button

- Select "System Setup" - then "OK"

- Select "Report" - then "OK"

- Select "Network Configuration Report" - then "OK"

- Select  "Yes" to print - then "OK"

On the printed page, you'll find a line called "EWS Information". EWS stands for "Embedded Webservice". There is your pin code that is the password for the user "admin".

HP Recommended

please, send me the instruction for reseting the printer

i have a HP Color Laser MFP 178nw and the login dialog box just accept anything i type but does not go futher.

many thanks,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.