Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw lost its ability to scan to a folder on my desktop computer. The two devices are linked via USB, and are both on the same internet network (the computer via ethernet, and the printer via wireless). The computer is running W10 (64 bit).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, switched the printer to Ethernet and back, and manually changed the folder location in the EWS portal from the computer name to the IP.

The error message I'm getting when the folder location is mapped via computer name is "Cannot find the remote server. Check server name or use IP Address to connect. Check that the remote computer is turned on."

The error message I'm getting when the folder location is mapped via IP address is "The test was unsuccessful."

I'm tearing my hair out here. Help please!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Even though it is not using DNS the scan can fail if there are no DNS settings entered into the network setup on the printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please install your latest printer firmware and check if that may help:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Consumer/M280_M281/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printe...

if that doesn't help, try enabling SMBv1 on your computer and check for any difference:

From the Control Panel select Uninstall a Program, then press on Turn Windows features on or off and check SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support among any of its sub-options, then follow the steps on screen to enable the feature and test the profile for the printer again.

Note: Microsoft has released security update MS17-010 that resolves the SMB version 1 vulnerability used by the WannaCry attack, please ensure it is installed on your computer:

If that still fails, please let me know what exact network path you are using for the shared folder.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi,

I updated the firmware and enabled SMBv1. I also filled in DNS with 8.8.4.4 as Repairatrooper recommended. I am still getting the error message "Cannot find the remote server. Check server name or use IP Address to connect. Check that the remote computer is turned on."

The IP is manually configured. I think the problem started when I mistakenly hit "AutoIP" in the settings.

The filepath for the scans is \\PCNAME\MyScans. I have also tried \\PC IP address\MyScans (though the IP for this machine is not static, so I don't like this option).

What should I try next?

Thanks,

Zach

HP Recommended

Hi Zach,

From the Setup menu of the printer, select Self Diagnostics and then Run Wireless Test.

May the test list any warning at the top header?

Have you tried disabling any security Antivirus and Firewall software on the computer and check if you may see any difference?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.