Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
konsin Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scanned photos have poor quality (noticable JPEG-like artifacts)

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M125rnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I try scanning old photos from a film camera using HP Scan with the following settings:

• Scan Size: Entire Area
  • Output Type: Color
  • Resolution: 1200 dpi
  • Item Type: Photo
  • File Type: PNG (.png)

When I open the scanning result and zoom in, it appears to be blocky as if I'd saved it as a JPEG file:

scan.png

If I look at the photo with a magnifying glass, I don't see these blocks and lines.

I guess, the printer is compressing images before sending to my laptop to avoid data transfer bottleneck, and Windows driver does decompression. For me image quality is much more important than scanning speed.

Could you tell me please, is there some way to turn this compression off?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,055 9,844 922 1,495
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scanned photos have poor quality (noticable JPEG-like artifacts)

Hello, @konsin – Hope you are well 🙂

May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel!

Going through your post, I see that you are having issues while scanning using the HP LaserJet printer with the HP Scan application. Let's try a different application to scan. 

I’d suggest using the HP Scan and Capture to scan. Go to http://bit.ly/2oAYXby to download and install the HP Scan and Capture app on your PC.

HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from any HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera.  These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications. Here are the detailed instructions on how to use the app: http://hp.care/2nZfg1K

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation