JohnKC
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scanning Bar does not travel full distance

LaserJet MFP M280nw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

The scanning bar under the glass does not travel the full distance on its return, and only scans or copies two thirds 

The bar gets stuck on the rail it travels along.  Anyone had a similar problem? Can it be fixed? 

3 REPLIES 3
Level 11
Level 11
3,534 3,520 347 733
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

not sure on this model but on some others we have seen that the flat cable that runs along the path gets bent and then binds the scanner.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
0 Kudos
JohnKC
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it possible to access underneath the.scan glass to smooth out the ribbon wire on the scanning bar? 

0 Kudos
Level 11
Level 11
3,534 3,520 347 733
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In my experience, one the cable is bent if is nearly impossible to "flatten it out" in any way that will last long term. Depending on where the bend is in the cable you might be able to reinforce with duct tape to try and keep it from bending again but if place where the kink is goes through a sharp bend, that might not work either. Most HP scanners are held together by either snap fit latches and screws or some combination of the two. I have never disassembled this particular model so I cannot tell  you exactly how it is done. On this level of model the service level prescribed is replace component. You might find a replacement cable on Ebay but it is not something that HP makes available. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation