Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M127fn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Scanning suddenly stopped working after a Windows 10 Update (this occurred on multiple computers on my home network). This is a LaserJet Pro M127fn connected through hard-wired ethernet (not wifi). 

Receive the following error when using the HP Scan utility on every one of my Windows 10 PC's:

" Scanner communication cannot be established."

Steps taken already:

1. I have uninstalled and rebooted my PC; unplugged and replugged in my printer

2. Downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. Scanning does not work.

3. Ran HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.2.1 and it fails on the step "Windows (WIA) Scan" with the error "This tool is unable to solve the problem even after a restart. Go to HP Customer Care to get help resolving this issue."

4. Checked the Windows Image Acquistion in Services (Local) - it is "Running" and "Automatic"

5. Checked Windows update - all updates are installed

6. Checked Lenova update - all hardware drivers are installed.

7. Checked HP Support website for LaserJet Pro M127-128 drivers - latest is August 18, 2016 (installed); no firmware or other updates.

The printing software works fine so there is no connectivity issue across my home network and IP address is fine; able to copy and fax so there is nothing wrong with the hardware; however it will not scan.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@HoHi

Appreciate all your time and efforts.

Is the copy working fine?

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m127-series/5396666/m... to download and install the  Full Software and Drivers.

Try to scan.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

The HP Printer driver was uninstalled from Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.

It was not found in PrintUI application.

Nothing has changed in status.

HP Recommended

@HoHi

Let's see if HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor is open, click Start, and then choose your printer.
    • If your printer is not listed, turn it on and click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in the tool.
  4. Depending on the problem, click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.
  5. Test results are displayed with icons:

A checkmark means your printer passed.

A wrench means a problem was found and fixed.

An exclamation mark means a test failed and was skipped.

An X means the printer has a problem. Follow the instructions to fix it.

6. HP Print and Scan Doctor shortcut is installed on your desktop.

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/topic/printscandoctor for HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

You obviously missed reading my original post in which I stated that I had already run HP Print and Scan Doctor and it failed. If you'd like to take a stab at interpreting the failure point that might be helpful. I'll repeat here:

Steps taken already:

1. I have uninstalled and rebooted my PC; unplugged and replugged in my printer

1a. Ran printui.exe /s from a CMD window

1b. Click on the "Drivers" tab 

1c. My HP Printer driver was not found. 

1d. closed the CMD window

2. Downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. Scanning still does not work.

3. Ran HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.2.1 and it fails on the step "Windows (WIA) Scan" with the error "This tool is unable to solve the problem even after a restart. Go to HP Customer Care to get help resolving this issue."

4. Checked the Windows Image Acquistion in Services (Local) - it is "Running" and "Automatic"

5. Checked Windows update - all updates are installed

6. Checked Lenova update - all hardware drivers are installed.

7. Checked HP Support website for LaserJet Pro M127-128 drivers - latest is August 18, 2016 (installed); no firmware or other updates.

HP Recommended

@HoHi

Appreciate all your time and efforts!

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for further assistance. 

Click here: www.hp.com/contacthp

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.