Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Users have reported smoke coming out of two printers (HP LaserJet P1006 and HP 1022) when in use and after 3-4 pages have printed. The printer also gets hot and the heat kan be felt by putting the hand over the area where the printed paper comes out. The printed paper also curls up that normally happens when the paper gets hot.

Does anyone have any idea or a solution?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

A printer smoking would be *very* unusual, having two different models smoking would suggest a different issue, perhaps an issue with the electrical supply or an environmental issue.  It is normal for the fuser to be hot in operation but not enough to cause smoking.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

What most folks identify as smoke with LaserJet printers, specifically low end Consumer laser printers is actually steam and not smoke.   As the fusing assembly heats the paper, moisture within is literally "cooked out" and will vent out of the top output sometimes appearing as smoke, but will quickly dissipate.  This is totally normal and should not be cause for concern.   There are ways to help minimize this by storing paper in an airtight container (think Tupperware) to prevent it from absorbing moisture from the air.   Many  folks believe it takes a lot of time for paper to absorb moisture, but in reality, it only takes a few hours.

Although this phenomenon can occur with all laser printers, higher end Commercial LaserJet printers include fans to help dissipate it better.  Low end LaserJet printers do not have internal fans, so it can be more noticeable.  In general, if the printer will print, all is good.  There are thermistors built in to the fusing assembly to measure heat.  Anything out of spec will prompt and error on the unit itself and will not allow the unit to print.    

A good reference doc on this can be found at the following URL:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

Obviously, if you see real smoke (grey, white or blue) from other areas (right, left side covers) and the unit is displaying an error, this would be cause for concern.

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

This happend to my HP LaserJet P1505n and I noticed it kept blowing the fuse.  I moved the printer and plugged the cord directly into the wall, the smoking has stopped and the fuse does not blow any more.  Try this you have nothing to loose. p.s. it does not get hot any more like it use to when I had it plugged into an extension cord.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. The SMOKE is COMING OUT OF THE PRINTER THAT IS ONE YEAR OLD!!!

Why?

HP Recommended

Hello annalabno2004. I believe you should contact technical support and they will provide you your options. You can locate the correct contact number based on your region here: http://goo.gl/qHlWX

However, if you believe you are witnessing steam, please refer to this document to troubleshoot: http://goo.gl/8jk774

Please respond if you have further questions or concerns. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.