Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Technician tried to sell me level6 anti hacking expert to install cisco firewall

On 4/12 

I was connecting a new HP printer. I ​went on to the site 123 as directed. I had no issues just following instructions. I was immediately contact​ed through a chat on the site who immediately had a ​technician person, Da​vid Wilson, ​who ​call​ed​  me from +1 (610) 410-5455 This person said he couldn’t connect the printer to my computer because of “hacking of my IP address “. He proceeded to keep me on the line while remotely operating my computer got 47 minutes “diagnosing” my issue. He finally tried to sell me a “fix” ​to have Level 6 Anti Hacking expert install cisco firewall ​costing from $150 to $444. I told​d him I would need to research this issue.
After hanging up I successfully added the new computer following the instructions provided with Easy Set up software​ with no issues.​
I called the number back and asked if he worked for HP and he said yes. He refused to give me his managers name or where he was calling from
I demand some explanation for this treatment and experience. If none is forthcoming I will be contacting the FCC

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,460
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Technician tried to sell me level6 anti hacking expert to install cisco firewall

Great.  Yes it was a scam site.  Please contact the FFC to report and stop this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How can a scammer be connected to you right off the HP website?  Doesnt HP have more control of things than that

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,460
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Who said it was an HP website?  HP will never ask you for anything like this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

YES!  I opend the new software and it instructed me to go to the website then a chat box appeared asking me what i needed.  All I said was I was connecting a new printer, never said I had a problem, the box said she would have a technician call me, asked for my number.

He immediately said, oh can't get your computer to recognize the new printer, need to do diagnosics and off we went for 47 minutes with him using remote desktop to pull up things like Achive Utility and then went into this speal that my IP address had been hacked which was why he couldn't get the printer online......

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
24,001 23,782 2,066 7,541
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced!

@hstanton

There are lots of similar 123 hp support sites.

Lots.

All but one is fake.

https://123.hp.com/us/en/

Note the webpage structure:

1. Logo is correct, bottom of the page is correctly formatted and copyright notice included.
  2. Every link at the bottom points to HP.
  3. Page Information is correct

Example:

HP_Support_123hpcom_1HP_Support_123hpcom_1

Read this article from HP:

HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

here is the link that I hit that apparently took me to never never land.  i will file with FCC....now I have to worry what he did when he was in my computer!  Thank you all for your help.  Maybe HP could change their websie name

https://www.google.com/search?q=123,hp.com/setup&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjosO7j-braAhVNOKwKHbWzDU4Q7xYoAHoEC...

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same thing just happened to us. Technician from hp in attempting to set up printer said he detected Trojan horse and gave us a web site to visit to buy a fix.  Called geek squad. They fixed the problem, cleaned up our computer and detected no Trojan horse. Hp has a problem here and I wish I had chosen  a different printer company. 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
24,001 23,782 2,066 7,541
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Susan45alabama

@Susan45alabama wrote:

Same thing just happened to us. Technician from hp in attempting to set up printer said he detected Trojan horse and gave us a web site to visit to buy a fix.  Called geek squad. They fixed the problem, cleaned up our computer and detected no Trojan horse. Hp has a problem here and I wish I had chosen  a different printer company. 

It is very unlikely you were dealing with HP.  It does not sound right to me, at least. 

If you have proof of the incident:

• Your call-back numbers for an actual HP support site,
  • Browser logs,
  • Receipts,
  • Dates of the incident,
  • HP Case Number
  • All the sort of documents necessary to support your claims,

then

• HP would like to investigate this odd situation.   

Most importantly, when you open a case with HP, you will be assigned an HP case number.

Have ready your receipts, case number, and other information.

Let us know and I will forward a request to have someone take a look.

If you were tricked : 

• You received an anonymous phone call from someone claiming to be HP and then gave away your information,
  • You inadvertantly typed in a Web site address OTHER than an actual copyrighted HP support site, (only HP is allowed to use the HP copyright logo on their websites),
  • If you let someone you do not know into your computer and gave away your security and / or personal information,

then:

HP is aware of this sort of problem, and like so many other legitimate companies, HP spends a lot of time and resources trying to help customers be aware of risks and to remain safe.

Please take the time to read the warnings regarding thieves and vermin:

Scams and Unscrupulous Contacts

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Document includes where you can report the scam to the authorities.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 9018 at Staples.  Had trouble connecting.  Followed the online instructions and talked with Marvin (probably Patel) who had me provide serial numbers and other data, talked me through multiple tasks and then told me I needed special drivers which initially would cost $100, then increased the amount to $400.  I hung up and through trial and error got the printer connected.  This morning it was offline again.  Went to HP site and was directed to another tech, Charlie (also probably a Patel), who after some time concluded that my internet connection was 'dirty' and that I needed to buy a protection package for one year at $199.00, but recommended five years at $499.00.  I hung up and went to the virtual assistant and turned my printer off/on and it works great.  

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation