cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

ThinkPad cannot connect to wireless printer (Envy7640e)

HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640e
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have two laptops (identical) that use the wireless Envy7640 for printing, scanning.  One of those laptops randomly cannot find the printer on the wireless network.  The other always works.  I downloaded the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  It could not remedy the problem.  Should I delete the printer from the laptop and reinstall the software?  Is there another fix?  BTW the printer has a full connectivity to the wireless router.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,299 2,042
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Swendy, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand one of your laptops is not detecting the printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Are the printer and laptop connected to the same network?

Your computer is connected to your network over 2.4GHz. NOTE: HP Printers are not compatible with 5.0 GHz networks.

You may still be able to connect the printer to your network using other setup methods as long as your router also supports 2.4GHz (as most do).

If the issue still persists install the full feature software on the PC you are unable to connect and setup using USB to a Wireless Connection and connect your other printer to the same printer.

Refer this article to know more information about setting up USB to a Wireless Connection.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I mentioned, the offending laptop randomly does or does not recognize the printer.  The other laptop, same model, always recognizes the printer.  Maybe I should uninstall the software for the printer on the offending computer and reinstall it to see if this may be a software glitch?  Your thoughts?  And thank you for getting back to me so fast.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,299 2,042
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Swendy, It's great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As I mentioned in my previous post install the full feature printer driver on your faulty PC and run the wireless setup wizard and check if it helps.

Make sure you uninstall the full feature software from root level on your PC and install the printer drivers and check if it helps.

1. Navigate to Start >Type Devices and Printers in the Search > Select it from the results

2. Highlight your printer object and Right Click

3. Choose Remove Device

4. Highlight something else from the list

5. Click the Print Server Properties button from the toolbar

6. Select the Drivers Tab

7. Highlight the appropriate print driver

8. Click Remove

9. Check the Remove Driver and Driver Package option when prompted

10. Click OK

Please update the printer software from this link.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation