Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M102
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Good afternoon,

The WiFi direct connection of the printer keeps being available. I tried Many things But it keeps appearing. Even when the WiFi light is off. How to turn off the WiFi direct?

P.s. I never connected with the internet to setup WiFi direct because I dont use internet on my pc.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

See a similar question posted here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Disable-wifi-Laserjet-pro-M102w/td-p/5921263

Sounds like you have to disable the SSID broadcast from the EWS if the control panel option isnt working.  Accessing the EWS will require you to setup the printer as a network printer temporarily if it isnt already configured to do so. 

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Hi Wouteresolve,

You will need to have the EWS Toolbox setup so that you can configure your printer EWS.

Once you can access, select "Networking" and "Wi-Fi Direct Setup."  In Wi-Fi Direct, make sure to switch it to "Off."

Please share if this helps to resolve the issue.

I am an HP Employee. My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP
HP Recommended

You people on these support boards always crack me up with your answers. You give an answer that leaves me, and other people with more questions!! How am I suppose to understand anything from these answers?

wrote:

See a similar question posted here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Disable-wifi-Laserjet-pro-M102w/td-p/5921263

This post does not even solve the question at hand, its confusing to make a link to another question. Please answer the question asked, by posting links you simply confuse and scare people away from seeking help.

Sounds like you have to disable the SSID broadcast from the EWS if the control panel option isnt working.  (How exactly, you did not explain how to disable it and what is a SSID and EWS?) Accessing the EWS (what is this?) will require you to setup the printer as a network printer temporarily (how?) if it isnt already configured to do so (I dont know if its configured or not, you are just confusing me)

Then wrote:

Hi Wouteresolve,

You will need to have the EWS Toolbox setup (How do I set this up?) so that you can configure your printer EWS (what?).

Once you can access, select "Networking" and "Wi-Fi Direct Setup." In Wi-Fi Direct, make sure to switch it to "Off." (what do I press to switch it to Off? how to I access it so I can select Networking and WiFi Direct Setup? You jumping steps, and I am clueless as to what yoau re asking!)

Please share if this helps to resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

You people? What do you mean, you people?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99IoN2pymfE

Go ahead and ask your questions, that is what the community board is for.  If something doesnt make sense then ask for clarification.  It is normally best to start with the most direct response to a thread.  Most people only read the top few posts and then move on.  If there is confusion then we can always go back and break down the technical information as necessary.

This post does not even solve the question at hand, its confusing to make a link to another question. Please answer the question asked, by posting links you simply confuse and scare people away from seeking help.

Try the steps in the post to learn more about the problem.  Compare that situation to your own.  Then comment on the part that you need clarification or ask for the next steps.  Some problems and questions cannot be answered with a simple response.  It is important to try different techniques and strategies to isolate what is happening in each individuals situation.

> (How exactly, you did not explain how to disable it and what is a SSID and EWS?) ... (what is this?) 

EWS is the Embedded Web Server.  It is a web admin page that you can pull up from a PC when your printer is network connected.  The EWS allows you to access all of the configuratiion options from the printers control panel, but over a web browser for easier remote management.

> setup the printer as a network printer temporarily (how?) 

Uninstall your USB printer installation.  Then rerun the Installation wizard, but select the option for Network install.  Follow the steps to connect your printer to the Ethernet cable or WiFi network.

(I dont know if its configured or not, you are just confusing me)

Check the physical connection to the printer.  If the printer is connected over USB cable, then it is USB.  If the printer is connected over Ethernet cable or WiFi then it is considered a network connected printer.

> You will need to have the EWS Toolbox setup (How do I set this up?) 

The HP rep posted this out of context.  The EWS is one thing, the HP Toolbox is something else.  When your printer is network connected, print off a configuration page from the control panel.  This will display the IP Address of the printer on your network.  Then type the IP Address of the printer into a web browser.  This will bring you to the home page of the EWS.  The HP Toolbox is extra software that you install on your PC that allows you to access the same content as the EWS but from a USB connection.

Or see page 22 or 53 of the user guide (not a super great explanation but it touches on EWS vs toolbox access):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05172884

> In Wi-Fi Direct, make sure to switch it to "Off." (what do I press to switch it to Off? how to I access it so I can select Networking and WiFi Direct Setup? You jumping steps, and I am clueless as to what yoau re asking!)

It will make more sense when you access the correct area of the EWS or the Toolbox.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The EWS page can be accessed via your printer software.

With the USB connected open the HP Laserjet M102 software (the icon will likely appear as HP Laserjet Pro M101-M104)

Within the Print tab, click the HP Device Toolbox icon, that opens its EWS page.

Within the Wireless tab select HP Wi-Fi Direct and from there disable the feature.

Any wireless signal should no longer be shown.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.